Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

I have a Maytag top loading washer, model MAV7258AWW that just

I have a Maytag top loading washer, model MAV7258AWW that just quit working during
a wash cycle before the spin and rinse. It started making a noise that sounds just like the noise in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykIFuw_BktU.

When it quit I noticed a burnt electrical smell as if the motor may have burned out.

Is this repairable or would the cost of the repair be more than what the machine is worth?
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting JA to help you with this appliance question.

Can you give me a minute to look at the video
Hi Gary, can you pull the machine away from the wall, then lay it back so it rests against the wall and you can get under it. Need you to remove the belt from the bottom then try to turn the main pulley both ways, let me know if you can turn it both ways.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok it will take me about 5 minutes or so as I have to unload the clothes in the washer then I can proceed with your request. Be back in a few

Gary

Ok Gary, Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry it took so long. The pulley (large white pulley on the bottom of tub)

turns clockwise ok but is difficult to turn counterclockwise.

Ok this tells me the transmission is bad, the pulley should turn both ways fairly easily, Unfortunately it's going to need a new transmission which is going to cost more then the machine is worth :(

Sorry to give you bad news Gary

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Mike

No problem with bad news. I know now what I have to do instead of repairing the machine. Have a great 4th and thank you for your help.

I appreciate your help and honesty.

Gary

Your welcome Gary

Thanks!

Mike.