Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Kitchenaid Oven ( model # XXXXX ) that has

Customer Question

I have a Kitchenaid Oven ( model # XXXXX ) that has touch screen control panel and recently had issues with it. I think after we cleaned the oven maybe some water leaked down into the control panel (my best guess of possible cause).

Got a few different errors. One of them was error code F2E1 (stuck/shorted key). I shut off power to oven, took off the front of the oven and checked all connections. I pulled off the wire ribbon that connects touch screen to control board to make sure connection was good and ribbon was clean. Now I don't get that error anymore, however pressing any of the buttons on the touch screen does nothing. Only response (a beep sound) I get is when pressing the "OFF" button. All the gas burners and electricity is fine...just no response from touch screen.

I have inspected the touch screen and control board and don't see any visual issues like corrosion or other things. Hoping you can help. don't want to spend money and time unnecessarily on parts or repairs.

thanks...!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So unfortunately the touchpad itself will likely need to be replaced, there just isn't much you can do when you get the F2 E1 error code other than replace the touchpad. One thing you can try is to use an eraser from a pencil and try to clean the tip of the ribbon cable with an eraser and sometimes that will get it up and running again. But that's sort of a last ditch effort to try before replacing the touchpad, because almost always the touchpad just needs to be replaced whether you can see a problem with it or not. Either way, below is a link to the part you need to replace for your model number.

CLICK HERE for touchpad

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks for the quick response! I no longer get that error anymore though. you still think it is the touchpad needing replacing?

I'm not sure what you mean by using the eraser to clean the "tip of the ribbon cable". It's a white cable (somewhat similar to a computer cable that connects a CD rom drive to a computer. There are no exposed pins on the cable. The plug that the cable goes into just has the pins. are you saying I run the erasor over the pins? Can you clarify. I did see earlier some white residue on the cable towards the middle and did my best to clean it.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, if you still can't press any buttons and get a response, then regardless of whether you get the error code or not, the touchpad would still need to be replaced.

And yes, to clarify, run the eraser over the pins on the board that the ribbon cable connects to. I've had it work a few times, but it's definitely not something I would say works 50% of the time. It's just something to try before having to spend so much on a new part.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks. The "off" button works...but not any other buttons. Can you share what part I would purchase to fix this? Any chance this could be a ribbon issue?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
It's still the touchpad, not the ribbon. The part number you need is(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok. Thanks. Tried it and no result. I'm going to order the touchpad. If that does not resolve the issue would you still be available to help? Curious what other things it could be.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Yes of course. I wouldn't expect any issues but if you need anything else, just post back on this question so you don't have to pay again.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I just got the part you suggested and tested the oven with the new touchpad and it has the same issue. Even with the new touchpad only stop button reponds. No other buttons work.

I did notice originally some white buildup on the black socket pins where the white cable connects to the main control part that has the display. What else could be causing this?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
The only other thing that it can be is the display board. So if you saw white build up, possibly that's an indication it has failed? Either way, there is absolutely nothing else that can cause this problem other than the display board or the touchpad so you'll want to replace the display board.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What part number would that be? What about cable? I think that part is one of the more expensive parts so hoping there are other possibilities.

Thx for the quick response.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
The part number for the display is 9762794, and it is about $350, yes.

As for the ribbon cable, that normally comes with the touchpad, but if that didn't come with you can try to replace the ribbon cable first if you wanted. That being said, the ribbon cable is not listed in the parts breakdown, so you'd need to contact a parts store to see if they can look up that part number for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just wanted to let you know that I ordered the display board and also bought the ribbon cable. I tested switching the ribbon cable first and that solved the problem. So none of the other parts were bad so am going to return them.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Alright, thank you for the update and I'm glad it's all up and running again.