Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Appliance Doc, another follow up. I turned the timer/clock

Appliance Doc, another follow up. I turned the timer/clock with a screwdriver, the compressor did not come on. I isolated the cold control thermostat right next to clock and with the temp selector in the middle did a continuity check, which I got. I turned the selector to Off and took another check and did not get continuity. The clock was doing its grinding sound and some gears were turning. I then went to the defrost thermostat/limit on the evaporator. I put it in ice water for 2 minutes and then got no continuity. YOu think this is it, or what else can I look at?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So the defrost thermostat will not affect the compressor whatsoever. You'd need more than just ice water to trigger the defrost thermostat. You will need to add salt to the ice water so that it can go far below 32 degrees and wait about 5-10 minutes for the thermostat to trigger if you were going to test it.

Either way, if the compressor is not running, that has nothing to do with the problem. Are there any fans or compressors running at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No. Nothing running except the timer now that I turned it. The lights are on. Also, this unit is completely dry since it hasn't been cooling. There is no frost or ice or anything.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK so you still have a bad thermostat or a bad defrost timer. Unplug the refrigerator and disconnect the 2 wires going to the thermostat. Put a jumper wire between the 2 wires going to the thermostat to bypass the thermostat and make certain the thermostat is not the problem. If it starts working, then you need to replace that thermostat. If it doesn't start working, replace the defrost timer because it's just not switching out of defrost even though you're turning the center dial.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.