Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

My EF3 burns for about 20-30 minutes then quits

Customer Question

My EF3 burns for about 20-30 minutes and then slowly dies out. I had a technician service the unit but I worked fine while he was there but quit 20 minutes after he left. Asked him to wait but said he couldn't...it was working fine. Things I have already done. - through cleaning - inspected by the technician - no use when I asked him what could be causing it - replaced the Exhaust temp sensor 140 degree Any suggestions? Mike

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! These Enviro pellet stoves are a great stove. Sorry you are having trouble with it. Is the exhaust blower running at full speed and do you hear it slow down as the flame drops and eventually dies? This is a common issue for these units, especially if they have some age on them.
Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Kind of both. The exhaust motor blower is running but it does not shut off but sound like it slows down.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, do you have a meter to test the voltage to the motor? The control may be dropping voltage or the motor may be failing. I suspect the controller is at fault but the voltage test will tell for certain.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Will check. However, going out of town for a few days, can I check it when I get back and we can go from there?

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Of course! Just reply back when you can. Safe travels...take care!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Kelly,

I'm back from vacation an test the stove I have a slight voltage drop but not that much.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
How much does the voltage drop and does the motor slow down and finally stop, even with the voltage there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Motor never really stops but it seems to slow down a little maybe, hard to tell.

voltage drop was about two.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, so the motor is not likely at fault. Does it get clogged in the burn pot, like there may be a hole that is allowing too many pellets to drop? Or, do the pellets stop feeding and it just burns out?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The pellets keep feeding but don't burn fast enough so it fills up and then dies out.

The feed rate is good, but it doesn't keep burning, almost like it not getting enough air.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Are you starting it with the feed rate knob at 12 o'clock and the blower off?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes. It seems to work better to reduce the feed rate till as it start to get a lazier flame, because the burning just get slow...almost like it smothering

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Well, the first 15 minutes is a "warm up" period and thing work a bit different until it gets hot enough. Then, once the low limit is satisfied, the control switches to a run mode. So, if it is having issues within the first 15 minutes, I suspect the controller is at fault, especially if it is intermittent, as when the tech was over. That is not uncommon with electronics. Any flashing lights on the control?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

none. Take about 30 minutes to really start shutting down. Driving me nuts. But the motor does seem to be running slower.

Do you think replace the exhaust blower would be the best bet?

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
If it is slowing down, I think it would be wise to replace it, yes. They have been troublesome, so I suspect that may be playing into it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do you recommend company or a website?

mike

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
That motor assembly is available below.

CLICK HERE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Wow. Did not know the cost. Could I try anything else before investing in the motor, since I'm not sure?

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
I would try bypassing the stat on the exhaust outlet by taping the wires together and see if it changes anything. This will also cause these symptoms but usually within the first 15 minutes or so.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just letting you know that I spent the money and bought the motor assembly, installed it and still the same problem. I know you don't have to but do you have any other advise. This driving me crazy.

Thanks

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
I am really sorry to hear of that. Did you find any change when you bypassed the outlet thermostat?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did not because I was not sure what you were referring to? I assumed you meant the exhaust temp sensor, located on the motor assembly.

However, I changed that before I changed the motor assembly.

Were you referring to some thing else?

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Page 40, number 6 at the link below.

CLICK HERE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok I give it a whirl when I get back.

thanks

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good, keep me posted!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Checked the outlet thermostat...nothing changed.

Any other possibilities?

All advise greatly appreciated.

mike

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Does the pellet feed totally stop or does the fire just go out?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It doesn't burn all the pellets, the pellets slowly build-up and and then the fire goes out and the pellets stop feeding.

Tried different pellets, same results.

Stove flame will burn really good for about 20 minutes and then slowly start geting lazier until it stops.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Have you inspected the venting all the way out of the home?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes. Did it my self and then had it done by a professional.

More money gone :-)

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
I am going to contact the manufacturer tech department, I am apparently overlooking something. I will post back once I have spoken with their technical department.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much.

I called the company awhile back but they were not to helpful, just repeated what was in the manual.

Hope you have better luck.

Thanks again,

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Yeah, they won't let you past the Customer Service department, you have to have the tech line direct number. I will see what I can come up with.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Just checking back and to see if you found anything else out on the pellet stiove problem. Still not burning right.

Played with and got it to burn for about an hour or so before it went out.

Really don't get it, flame is burning good when it start and slowly dies.

Thank you all your help.

Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.
I am not sure why my responses are not showing prior to now??? No, the only thing I have gotten from the engineering department is an air flow issue of some kind. It could be venting or combustion flow that is being affected. It sounds like that it could be starving for combustion air but I am not certain. You may need to have an on site visit from a dealer to get to the bottom of it.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

So do think changing the comustion/exhaust blower would help?

I had the dealer rep out awhile back and they know less then me and they won't want around till the fire goes out.

Thank you for geting back with me.

mike

Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.
At this point, I would try it.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Thanks again for all your help. I will let you know....unless I beat it with a hammer first :-)

Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.
I totally understand! Keep me posted.