Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Kenmore elite refrigerator model 106.51183110 not cooling properly.

Customer Question

Kenmore elite refrigerator model 106.51183110 not cooling properly. Freezer is fine and pumping cold air. Fridge won't get colder than 53. Just started to fail day before yesterday. Cleaned / vacuumed coils from front and back. Did not impreve . Any suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So if the freezer temperature is good, then there are only a few things that can cause the refrigerator section to be too warm. The first thing you need to do is pull everything out of the freezer and remove the screws going into the lower back panel inside the freezer. It sounds like the fan behind this panel is running because you say it's "pumping cold air", so make sure the silver coils below the fan are not completely packed with frost. They should be lightly frosted from top to bottom, but if they are packed with frost, that will prevent air from circulating up and into the refrigerator from the freezer section (this means you have a defrost problem).

Now if the coils are not packed with frost, your damper diffuser assembly has failed and needs to be replaced. The damper is the part in the upper back left corner of the refrigerator section that opens and closes to allow air into the refrigerator from the freezer so that the refrigerator section can cool down. You'd need to replace this part if the coils are not packed with frost because it is not opening to allow enough air into the refrigerator to cool the refrigerator down properly.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hokey Dokey. Give me a few to check it out. I'll get back with my finding.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK good luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sendiing this again as I'm not sure whether it went through a couple of minutes ago. Please disregard this message if you are.already working on it...

The coils are free of ice buildup and the fan is running..so, perhaps it is the diffuser? If that is what you think it is...could you provide a part number so I can order it from sears parts direct asap? Also, could you provide a quick response as to where the difusser is actually located and how to access it? I looked in the upper left corner of fridge and did not see an.access panel, but did not look that closely...as I'm trying to keep it cool. If you are unable to provide a part number, just confirm what I need to ask for when I call. Thanks again for your help!

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I actually did not get that message until now unfortunately, so thank you for sending it again. If the coils are free of ice build-up, then you'll need to replace the diffuser.

So I wanted to say that this refrigerator is quite a bit different than most of the Kenmore refrigerators. If you look at the picture below, you'll see part 2 and 3. Those are the parts that send the air into the refrigerator. Part 3 is actually a fan. You'll want to remove these parts at the back of the refrigerator somewhat near the bottom middle section. Check for any frost build up and thaw it out if you see any. If not, then I'd replace part 3 which is the fan that should blow air through the refrigerator if you don't see it moving. Part number is W10384753.

graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK. I'll go ahead and have the part sent overnight air...warm beer is not good! When my husband gets home, I'll have him check to see if parts are frozen, etc.. Can he contact you again if he has additional questions...? I want to give you an excellent rating too...as you have Ben wonderful..My only question is, if I do that now, will it close out this thread so we could not ask something else if we need to?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
So yes, whether you rate me now or not, you can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge if you have further questions later.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Once again...thank you very much for your help and time. We should be fine, as we are both extremely handy...but wanted to make sure...just in case. Have a great week and holiday weekend!

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
No problem and you have a good holiday as well!