Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

My KSSS42QJX00 ie maker stopped making ice. It still dispenses

Customer Question

My KSSS42QJX00 ie maker stopped making ice. It still dispenses it.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! If you look down the center of the ice maker, you will see the "fingers" that eject the cubes. Which way are those fingers pointing as you face the ice maker from the front?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The fingers are not visible. They appear to be inside where the ice cubes are made.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Great, thank you! In the very front of the ice maker is a white plastic cover that will pull off. Once pulled off, you will see a large white gear, directly in the center or. In the middle of that gear are two plastic tabs that hold the gear tight. Is one of those tabs broken and/or missing?

graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, they appear to be intact.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Gently pull on the center gear, does it come off or stay tight?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It stays tight

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, do you feel ice in the tray that has not been dumped?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I thinks so, but it is hard to tell. I think the fingers are against the top of the ice.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Great, I think you will only need to remove the ice maker to thaw it out and empty the tray. I suspect a cube did not get expelled at the last harvest and the water then overfilled a bit, causing the ice to form in places so the heater cannot thaw it out. On the top of the ice maker, left side, are two 1/4" screws. There is also one on the bottom left side. Once those are removed, the ice maker will pull out and unplug for removal. This will allow the entire unit to be moved to the sink for thawing. Once thawed, use white vinegar to soak and clean the mold where the ice is formed so the cubes release well. If, when you get the ice thawed from the mold, you find the coating coming off, you will need to replace the ice maker. The ice maker you would need is available below.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Ice Maker Kit <----- CLICK HERE FOR THE CORRECT PART FOR YOUR MODEL

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave.

If you have any other questions, please let me know!. You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, I'll give it a try. thanks.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
You bet, please let me know if I can help with additional questions!

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know!. You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Actually, I think I figured out what is really going on. It appears that the arm is lifting when it drops ice, but it never goes back down to keep making more ice unless I mannually push it down each time after it dispenses the ice. How do I fix it so the arm automatically comes back down after it dispenses the ice?

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
The arm is designed to stay down unless it is actually lifted inot place. If it is not dropping down all the way, you may be able to bend the metal arm a bit near the front of the icemaker to get it to have a smoother action.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, after some time went by, I simply thought you weren't logged on last night. What I believe happens is the arm goes up and then it drops the ice and the arm is supposed to then come back down to see if the tray is full. But what appears to happen is the arm stays up after it drops the ice. It will stay up indefinitely, even with an empty ice bin, unless I put the arm back down manually. I have had to do this consistently for the last 2 days. Is there something I can do to make the arm start going down on its own after it drops the ice each time, or do I need to replace the whole ice maker?

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
The metal bail arm is plugged into the back of the module on the front of the ice maker. You can bend that arm a bit to make the action smoother. This will usually take care of the binding. If it does not, you can just replace the module. Let me know what happens with the bail arm adjustment.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Which direction should I bend it?

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Toward the back of the freezer, just a little tweak. It isn't critical, just hold the top of the bail arm in the module and bend it a bit toward the freezer back.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, I'll try it and see what happens.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, you should feel right away if the action of the bail arm is smoother. Let me know how it goes.