Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a maytag gemini stove and a small cooktop element has

I have a maytag gemini stove and a small cooktop element has died, can it be repaired?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you have a model number so that I can better assist you? It should be located on a metal flip up tab on the back of the control panel. Just flip the tab up and a sticker with the model number will appart on the front of the tab.

Also, what is the location of the element that isn't working exactly?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

left rear and I am getting the model number

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK perfect, just let me know when you can.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can't find a contol panel, it is an 850 series gemini electiric dual oven range from maytag

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
You'll need to pull the oven forward. The metal flip up tab is on the back of the control panel where your digital display is located.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

cannot pull out stove, too old, too frail

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Ok so I won't be able to look up parts without a model number, but this issue definitely can be fixed. You either have a bad element or a bad infite switch. The infinite switch is the part that you turn when you twist the knob to adjust the temperature of the burner. Either way, it's about a 50/50 chance as to which part has failed, but if you have another small burner, you can swap out the switch from the other small burner to the burner that isn't working and see if that gets the burner to work. If so, then replace that switch, otherwise replace the burner. The problem is that you'll still need to pull the oven out and remove the back of the control panel to access the switch so that you can swap them or replace them.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can the element be replaced or does the whole cooktop have to be replaced?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
You can replace just the single element, the entire cooktop does not need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

many thanks

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
No problem and I wish you only the best.