Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a Miele W4840 which stops frequently (every 3-6 washes)

I have a Miele W4840 which stops frequently (every 3-6 washes) with message "waterproofing system activated". Draining the base pan from the front of the machine resets the machine, but the problem soon reoccurs. About 2-4 cups of water pours out of the drain filter when I first unscrew the cover. The pump impeller rotates but the cavity is never dry. What could be wrong?
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! You have a leak somewhere, likely a tear in the rubber door boot. Closely inspect the door boot all over, especially the right side and the bottom. Any small holes or tears found?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no apparent holes or tears.

Does it move around considerably when it spins?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I take it that you mean the drum. I don't watch the washer every time it is used, but with moderate loads it seems to spin reasonably balanced. The drum hasn't spun in a way that it causes the entire machine to move from its location.

Okay, so intermittent leaks are going to be very hard to find. Can you tell in what area the water is coming from at all? Any signs of leakage on the floor?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There is some water on the floor which is the result of tipping the machine to reset it. The drain filter drain area spills water everywhere and not all the water goes into the bucket. I have not noticed water on the floor any other time.

The leak is not going to be easy to find. If you remove the metal ring clamp from the front of the rubber door boot, you can pull the boot off and get a good look inside at the back of the boot and the tub. Let me know what you see.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I see two rubber hoses--one is odd shaped. I can see water in the pan through a cover that has a few 1-2" oblong holes.

If you are certain the rubber door boot is not compromised, the drain hose may be leaking. Can you watch the hoses as water is expelled?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How do you do that with the door closed?

Are you looking through the area of the door boot or in the back of the machine?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am looking through the area where the door boot is.

Okay, that will need to be put back on. The top panel will come off easily. There are screws on the sides of the panel that will loosen and then allow the top to be pulled off. This will allow a look inside with the machine in operation.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I only see screws in back of the top, not on the sides of the top panel. By the top panel, do you mean the top surface of the washing machine?

Yes, the very top panel. The screws may be in the back, most are on the side, some in the back.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This problem is getting to be too much for me. I will call a service company. Thanks.

I understand, thank you.

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know!. You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!