Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

i have a rb215labp/xaa and i have replaced compressor and motherboard.

i have a rb215labp/xaa and i have replaced compressor and motherboard. cools and freezes but never stops running..does stay at same temp.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you have a thermometer that can test the temperature inside the freezer and refrigerator? If the unit is running all the time then is it getting too cold inside either side?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no but i had food in it for 2 days and everything was frozen and cold up top.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
You're going to need to get a separate thermostat before you can diagnose anything and put it inside the refrigerator and the freezer for 24 hours to see if the temperature is accurate, too warm, or too cold. Then you can post back here and let me know what you find. Until then, you're really just shooting in the dark.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok. do i just leave this page on till then

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
You can bookmark or save the page as your favorite and come back if you wanted to close the page.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

cool...thanks

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
no problem, and talk to you later.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i put thermometer inside and it holding temp. it shut off one time this morning when i went to work but has been running since i got home two hours ago.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Is that inside the refrigerator or the freezer? You really need to check both sections. And I need sort of an exact temperature please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i will test freezer should only take a few min. fridge is holding 38 freezer says -2 but ill get back in min for sure.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK, just let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

my thermometer wouldn't go that low.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
How low is "that low"? What does it stop at?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

digital says ll...i took off upper fan assembly lots of ice...but fan works freezer should be at -2

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK perfect. Is the ice build up on the silver coils below the fan? And is the ice covering all the silver coils from top to bottom?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

mostly top just white below

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK so it sounds like you've had a defrost problem in the past or possibly the door was left open for a really long time and too much frost built up and then went through the defrost cycle like normal, but it might be fixed now since the ice is mostly at the top. Just use a hair dryer and thaw all the ice and frost build up on the silver coils. This will allow the air to circulate properly so the unit should cool down better and not run as much in order to get it to the correct temperature.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no has been off for two weeks.. i think it is the temp sensor..i plugged it in yesterday when i started talking to you..holds temp and not frozen over just won't shut off.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
So you can replace the temp sensor, but if the temp sensor was bad, the freezer would be TOO cold. Since you can't measure the temperature there is really no way to know for certain. But if everything was working normally and it's just not shutting off, that would mean something is getting too cold because the unit is continuing to cool past the point that it should shut off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it has never worked properly got off craigslist and replased motherboard and compressor

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
It seems to be cooling fine so I'm not convinced that there is definitely a problem. These new refrigerators do run a lot, but that doesn't mean that are inefficient. They draw less power than other refrigerators by a long shot. Either way, if there is an issue with the defrost or temperature sensor, then it'll show up after a few days of running the refrigerator by either the refrigerator or the freezer warming up or getting too cold. If it runs without any temperature issues for over a week or two, there is no problem.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.