Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

my samsung rf4287hars freezer wont stay cold middle drawer not really

Customer Question

my samsung rf4287hars freezer wont stay cold middle drawer not really cold but refridge part seems to be working ok. is there error codes i can find to trouble shoot?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting JA to help you with this appliance question.

Can you open the freezer door and look at the lower panel on the inside rear, need to know if you see any frost on the panel.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no its room temperature and i see no frost.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok Michael thanks for that, the problem here is likely the sensor inside the freezer, You would need to take the panel out in the rear of the freezer, once out you will see a sensor that looks like this.

graphic

It will be wired to a plug at the rear, You'll need to replace this sensor since it's very likely it has shorted.

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

bottom panel or top panel? where can i order one?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
There should only be one panel in the freezer, it there are 2 then it will be the largest panel covering the evaporator.

Click here to order the replacement part

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

can you be a bit more detailed on where i can find this sensor. I also ran the diagnostics on the front holding the two keys and it shows on the pcb that every thing is running normal. i have two covers one for the computer and one below by the compressor but i dont see this part.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
The cover is inside the freezer. The cover is in the schematic below part 12. It's held in with a combination of screws and clips. take all visible screws out then lever the panel out.

graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok i took this apart and yes the coils there are gettign frost on them.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok so the sensor is the problem, order the sensor from the link i gave you, install it and you should be all set, you may need to that the frost with a hairdryer to find the sensor clipped to the top of the evaporator.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

and just now for no reason at all it just all melted.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Maybe the sensor came loose, make sure the wire connections are good, If so put the panel back, leave the freezer for about 4 hours and see if it starts to cool, if it does your good to go, if not replace the sensor.

Thanks!

Mike.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hi Michael,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? If you are still having a problem please feel free to come back for additional assistance.

Let me know,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i replaced the part but stil have the same problem.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok if the sensor did not fix the problem then the only other problem it can be is the control board. Normally when this happens it can be traced to the sensor but in some cases the problem will be the control.

Click here to order the replacement control
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok changed the main board and its seems worse freezer stays at 74 fridge at 46. What could it be?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Did you give the unit some time to start cooling?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

put it in last night at 7pm

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Can you pull the unit out from the wall, remove the lower panel in the rear. Once the panel is off you will see the compressor, feel the compressor, need to know if it feels hot or room temp, also need to know if the fan beside the compressor is running.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

compressor is warm fan is on

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
luke warm or hot?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

little more then luke warm but not burning.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok Michael, Seems like you've had a leak in the sealed system, You will need to have a trained tech track down the leak, fix the leak then recharge the unit with refrigerant.

Thanks!

Mike.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! If you were getting frost at one point, I am not sure the sealed system is at fault. I suspect the compressor is not staying running, due to perhaps a relay issue. Have you heard any clicking or buzzing at all from the compressor area?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No seems to just stop getting cold. I tore it appart already and threw it out.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
I understand. Would you like me to forward your deposit for a full refund?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yeah that would be nice thankyou

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
I will forward the request right away and am sorry we could not get you fixed up.