Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

my amana atb2115hrw refrigerator is not cooling properly? what

my amana atb2115hrw refrigerator is not cooling properly? what can i do about it?

Hello Trent my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service. Please take your time and make the checks below.

First look in the freezer (even though it may be warm) at the rear inside wall, can you find a frosty spot anywhere? Sometimes you have to feel the wall as its difficult to see.

Check to see that the freezer fan is blowing steady air out of the vent in the freezer, is it?

If the freezer fan is operating and you found no frost on the rear inside wall of the freezer go around behind the unit and remove the lower panel. Touch the compressor on the top. Is the compressor hot, warm or cold and is it vibrating? And have you heard a buzz or click from back there?

Is the fan back there working as well?

Thanks,
Barry

CLICK TO ENLARGE

graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the fan is working, the compressor is hot and not vibrating, and i heard no clicks. im attempting to remove the back cover in the freezer now. the fan in the freezer is turning, and i could not feel any frosty spots on the outside of the cover

I understand Trent, please take your time and let me know when you can

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

both fans are working, the rear ofthe freezer has no frosty spots, the compressor is hot and not vibrating

no clicks from starting compressor

Trent are you able to hold your hand on the compressor or is it too hot for you to touch?

Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

too hot

If a compressor is too hot to touch it has failed. 1. it is getting power but not moving coolant so heat builds to the point that you cannot hold your hand on it. As coolant moves through a compressor it circulates heat away from it then when it returns it cools the compressor more. So this has happened, the motor has power but mechanically a part inside of the compressor has broken and jammed the motor so it is not moving. If it were not getting power it would not be hot.

That means you will have to call for a compressor replacement and the following questions are the ones that you should ask before accepting an agreement for an appliance repair.

Do you have a license to recover freon? (They must be licensed its federal law) That way they just cannot come out without you knowing and charge you then leave because they do not have one.

What is the minimum you charge for a compressor replacement? Be sure to call around because the prices can vary greatly from shop to shop and the cost of repair on this unit is near the price of a new one of this same style. This will give you some idea if you want to repair it or not.

If you have questions about my answer please click the "Reply To Link"

Thanks,
Barry

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you barry

You are welcome Trent, I really appreciate the opportunity, I am sorry it is bad news but hopefully overall I have helped you become informed enough to make a good decision that will save you money in the next steps that you take.

Thank you,
Barry