Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a BR18* bottom freezer fridge and while I was on vacation,

I have a BR18* bottom freezer fridge and while I was on vacation, the freezer part of the fridge is quit working. At 7 the freezer is running the same temp as the upper fridge, but is not freezing. Is there something I can do or do I need to call in a repair man or get a new fridge?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So the refrigerator cools by stealing air from the freezer section, which means that since the refrigerator section is working, you don't have a defrost problem or a bad fan inside the freezer preventing the air from circulating properly. The thermostat is also working properly because the refrigerator is still working, or at least better than the freezer at this point. Now you'll want to pull the entire refrigerator forward and remove the lower back access panel. Is the fan next to the compressor running? If so, touch the big black round compressor and is the compressor room temperature, warm, or blazing hot?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is hot, but did not burn my hand

OK and is the fan next to it running?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the fan is running

OK so unfortunately this means that either you have a freon leak or your compressor has become inefficient. There really isn't much you can do yourself to fix this problem. You'll need to call a technician to check the freon pressure to determine if you have a leak or a faulty compressor. If you needed a new compressor it would be about $550 and a leak repair would be closer to $350 or so. You need to be licensed to work on the freon system and it requires a lot of specialty tools which is why you'd need to call a technician if you wanted to spend that much to fix this refrigerator.