Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

We have a 23-year old Maytag dryer LDE512. For the most part

We have a 23-year old Maytag dryer LDE512. For the most part , it still works great however, last night I noticed it wasn't heating up. I see the igniter glowing but the gas is not igniting. I vacuumed the dust inside the 'trap door' and verified the exhaust is not blocked/clogged. Any ideas what I might be running up against here? [We know we're living on borrowed time with this dryer!]
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So if the igniter is glowing, that means that the thermostats and everything else are working properly and the dryer is trying to heat which means you have a gas control problem. First, make sure you're actually getting gas to the dryer from your house. If your dryer is definitely getting gas, then this is a pretty common issue unfortunately and it means that your gas coils are starting to fatigue and need to be ordered and replaced. As the coils heat up, the unit stops opening the valve or can't hold it open as long as intended because it gets weak. You just need to order and replace the 2 black cylinder gas coils located directly in front of the igniter. Below is a link to the part you'll need to order and replace.

Now ignore that the part is a "Whirlpool part" if you would because Whirlpool bought out Maytag in 2006 so all Maytag parts are now Whirlpool parts.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Are these pretty simple to replace? Can you assist with any 'diagram' or simple instructions? I visually see to what you're referring, but I just want to make sue I don't 'break' anything. Are the parts you're recommending interchangeable with Maytag so you're sure these will fit my dryer?

Yes, it's a fairly easy part to replace and I know the part will work for your model because I looked it up using your model number.

As for a diagram, there really isn't one that's going to help, but if you go to the part link I gave you to before, there is a video that shows the process of replacing the coils. Now access is completely different on your model, but replacing the coils is the same. To access the coils, just unplug the dryer and remove the screws at the bottom of the front panel and then the front panel will pull forward and hinge up so that you can take the panel off and replace the coils behind it.