Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Upper rack of dishes is not cleaning well

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Can you get us the model number? also start a wash and let this fill when its done filling open the door and tell me how much water is in the bottom in inches, does the water reach the heater ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Model KUDS30IXSS3

Water fills to about 2-3 inches well above the heater element

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
have you cleaned the filter screen lately ? Sump Cover and Filter(NNN) NNN-NNNN        Main Product View
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did not take the screen out. I took off the lower spray arm. The top of the screen seems very clean. Could it be clogged with tiny particles inside the screen. When you scratch it with your fingernail you do not get any crud.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
can you put a glass sitting upright in the top rack and run the dishwasher for about half a cycle and see if theres water in the glass ? we need to see if the water is reaching the top spray arms.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I put 4 coffee mugs in all 4 corners of upper rack. All filled up in about 10 minutes. When I open the door quickly during a wash should I see the spray arms coming to a stop? I never can see them moving? Do I have a pressure problem?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
no not if the cups filled up you don't have a pressure problem. when you say they don't come clean how do you mean ? particles on the dishes? cloudy?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes particles on cups, tupperware, cereal bowls on upper rack. I've tried different wash types...pot scrub, 1 hour wash etc... This problem has been going on for about 6 months now. Don't seem to have a cloudy look on anything. We generally use a liquid soap. Lower rack seems to work normally and clean well.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay well i suggest at this time to get some white vinegar and pour it in the bottom (no dishes) and run the machine , pour about a cup in each time. this should be done about 3 to 4 times to help clean the machine out good, if that doesn't help you will need to remove the pump and sump assembly top and clean the whole assembly out. you will need to take this off and clean down in the sump area. clean down in the pump housing also. there is grit and food particles in it, the vinegar usually helps break that up so it can be drained away..
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.