Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Refrigerator Problem...help!

Customer Question

Hi, The power went off & on several times tonight, and now our GE refrigerator seems to have a problem, possibly with the compressor. It clicks on quite noisily, starts to run & then clicks back off within 5 seconds. It's been doing this constantly since power went off & on about 3-4 times two hours ago. Is this dangerous or a fire hazard? Can I leave fridge plugged in & running until the morning, when I can have my husband check it or call a repair person? The storms are continuing & power may go off & on again, and I am concerned about safety, as I am disabled & cannot move fridge or check it myself. Thank you! Also: does fridge have a reset button??

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! The clicking you hear is the compressor relay. It could be a hazard because of the heat that builds during the starting attempts. I would not recommend leaving the refrigerator plugged in. The relay will likely need to be replaced, or worst case scenario, the compressor is bad. I am sorry you are having to deal with this, I know it can be scary.

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know!. You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Kelly, I am unable to unplug the refrigerator, so what would you suggest? No smell of heat/burning or anything at present, but I can't stay up all night checking on it & obviously don't want it to overheat or be a danger. Does that happen often in your experience, & what should I watch for? It tries to come on every 5-10 mins, but only stays on a few seconds, as I said. It still seems to be cold in both sides; would it still be able to cool if the compressor was bad? Is the relay the "switch" for the compressor?
Thanks...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
NOT dissatisfied, just need the follow up question answered asap & didn't want to wait for the first technician if he's offline. Thanks.
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for using this service. Please be logged in to rate my assistance when we are done. Rating 3-5 is good, but 1-2 is bad so talk with me first.

I am a different tech and will try and assist you since Kelly is offline. If you are disabled and cannot unplug the machine just turn the controls inside the unit to off and leave it. That will be the same as unplugging it for the compressor concerns. If you can not do that let me know. All I ask is that you rate my assistance thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Guru, unfortunately, I'm unable to turn it off. If you would please answer the other questions I asked in my last post that would help me; I will rate you after I receive your response to them Thanks a lot! :)

more than likely the compressor relay is bad ordefective. It will keep things cool for a little bit buddy bentley everything will warm up send the compressor really is not running. It could ruin the compressor if it continues to tried to hard start it and stop...it's hard to say for sure since a lot of units will do that for more than a day and the compressor will still be good but the relay will obviously be bad. There really is not much else you can watch for if you cannot turn the unit off, you would just have to wait for service if you want any more information let me know but there's not much else I could really tell you 100 percent