Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

We have a whirlpool refrigerator freezer combo. Freezer on

We have a whirlpool refrigerator freezer combo. Freezer on top. Water keeps coming out of a square hole in the top of the refrigerator compartment and pooling in the bottom of the refrigerator. The drip pan under the refrig. is always dry. Whats wrong?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

This is a very common issue and it means that your defrost drain line has frozen over and will need to be thawed out. This often times happens for no reason at all and is just random. You will need to remove everything out of your freezer and remove the back panel inside the freezer. Use a hair dryer to thaw all the ice out and locate the drain hole. Pour hot water down the drain hole until it's draining properly again. Once it's draining properly blow compressed air down to make sure it's clear. If you don't have compressed air, use a turkey baster to make sure the drain line is clear and draining properly. Cut a solid copper piece of wire about 6 inches long. Wrap it around the defrost heater a couple times just above the drain hole and extend it 2 inches into the defrost drain hole. That will transfer heat into the drain hole when the defrost heater turns on and will prevent the defrost drain line from freezing over in the future.

Also, if you didn't want to use a copper wire, there is an actual kit made which you can wrap around the heater if you wanted to buy the actual kit to perform this task.

CLICK HERE for kit

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Your answer seams solid. Prior to this happening we would hear a loud "pop" or "crack" from this unit in the middle of the night. Was this a warning sign this was happening?

it's possible, but the popping noise is more likely the compressor overworking or something, but you won't know until you thaw the ice out.