Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a Kenmore Electric Range. The oven & brol functions

I have a Kenmore Electric Range. The oven & brol functions will not work. Getting dr code. Have checked plug, breaker, set clock, checked door for debris, unplugged for 20 seconds, tried self cleaning function - still getting dr code. stove top works, clock works but oven & broil will not work
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Error "dr" means that your oven think that the door is open which is why the oven won't heat and the unit won't go into self clean. Try to open the door and push in on the door switch a few times in case it's just sticking. If that doesn't work, you'll need to order and replace the door switch assembly to fix the problem.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the latch won't move. cannot push in. is this the self cleaning latch?

Yes, that is the self cleaning latch. Ok so it sounds like your door latch may have failed.  Try turning the breaker off and then shutting the door if it will shut completely or pushing and holding in the door switch to the unit for 60 seconds while you turn the power back on to the oven to see if it will reset. If that doesn't work, then try to push in on the door switch and set the self clean, wait 60 seconds and cancel it to see if that will reset the door latch assembly.  If nothing resets the door lock, then you just need to replace the door latch assembly.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

nothing works. it will not budge. How much is the door latch assembly? Can I replace it myself?

The part is normally about $75 or so but it really depends on your exact model number. The model should be located on a sticker around the frame of the oven and can be seen if you open the door. If you're handy, then you should be able to replace the latch assembly because it's all plug and play.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. Have a nice evening.

Not a problem. You have a nice evening as well.