Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

Kitchenaid Refrigerator Superba Model KSSS48QKB00 stopped working.

Customer Question

Kitchenaid Refrigerator Superba Model KSSS48QKB00 stopped working. Fist repairman replaced the evap motor, still didn't work, then pulled the control board, a week later said part is not available and not being supported. I need to confirm this before I spend a lot of money on a new refrigerator. Can you help?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Jon : Hello
Customer:

hello

Jon : My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an authorized kitchenaid and whirlpool service tech and I can help you today. Thank you for coming to the website.
Customer:

Do you need more information?

Jon : can you t me the background here for the repairs on your machine? This way I know the full story with hat happened to you machine?
Jon : thanks
Jon : it will better help me help you.
Jon : sorry above it should have said can you tell me more about the ref problems?
Customer:

Kitchenaid refrigerator KSSS48QKB00 stopped cooling. A repairman first diagnosed the problem as the evap fan and replaced it. The refrigerator still did not work. They then said the control board needed to be replaced. They removed the board and 2 days later said that is was only available as a refurbished part. They then called back a day later said they couldn't find a replacement part. Refrigerator is completely turned off now.

Jon : if you want to be sure the first repair man that checked your machine is accurate and telling you that you need a new main computer for the fan in the evaporator not working, you can easily check that by checking the voltage supply to the fan motor if you have a volt meter?
Jon : oh ok. Let me check the parts first to see if they are still available. But please answer me one question, was the fan in the freezer section not running or working at all?
Jon : Ill check the parts for you now. Give me one minute. Be right back.
Customer:

no I do not have a volt meter. I am trying to determine if the part is repairable. He turned the circuit breaker off so no power is presently being delivered to the refrigerator.

Jon : Yes. I have part info for you
Customer:

What I was told was that the fan was initially not working. They replaced that but the refrigerator still did not work. He told me that what probably happened was once the fan didn't work it shorted-out the board.

Jon : this is a repairable part. And since this is an older built in model ref, the board for this machine has been discontinued. Which happens often. Te board has to be sent to a company that will repair it and fix it. Then they send it back to you to fix the machine. Otherwise, you are looking at a whole new rf.
Jon : i can get you the info for where to send the board if you have the board. This way you can get it fixed and back working again?
Jon : is that something you want me to do?
Customer:

That would be awesome!

Jon : it happens a lot on these kinds of machines. I see it often. Especially when a control board is discontinued.
Jon : You got it. Give me one second.
Jon : Here is the no you will need.
Customer:

They claimed to have called a place that told them they don't repair this board. Thanks. I will definitely give you time.

Jon : Corecentric Solutions, Inc. For Repair175 Wall St, Attn: Rfr Dept Glendale Hts, IlNNN-NN-NNNNh(NNN) NNN-NNNN Fax(NNN) NNN-NNNN/span>
Jon : You can also get their info at corecentricsolutions.com
Jon : as long as you still have the board andthe repair company didn't take it you can send the board to them the paperwork you can download from their website, they will fix it and send it back to you. The if you want, andif you are handy, I can walk you through how to install it in your ref? That will save you hundreds on cost of repair.
<span class="JA_chatAuthorName"Customer:

Great, thanks. Just one question -- I was told that the repair center they were sent to claimed to not repair that board anymore. Is there a chance I will run into that again?

Customer:

I have the board.

Jon : ok good that you have the board. As far as for not repairing that board, I don't believe so. There are a very limited amounts of boards they don't repair. This one I do believe they do. Just sent one to the a few months ago.
Jon : i would either call the or go online to make sure. But I will tell you this, it is still listed only parts warehouse that they will repair it. And they are usually up to date with their info. If you have another troubles get backto me here and I will see if I cando it for you.
Customer:

Ok, I sure do hope so! Thanks

Jon : you got it.
Jon : i a sure it will turn out fine.
Customer:

Great. Thanks Jon!

Jon : please remember to positively rate my performance below this chat now with ok service or better info so this way you can always comeback to me here if you need more help. This way you will not be charged again. And I can continue helping you.
Jon : you are very welcome. That is what I am here for.
Customer:

Will do!

Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Diana,

Thank you for the positive rating. It is greatly appreciated. Should you need any other help or have any other questions or concerns with this machine please feel free to get back to me here at any time. I will help you more for no additional charge.

Again, just get in contact with Corecentric and see what they can do for you. If they can't help you for some reason or if you have any troubles getting in contact with them please get back to me here and let me know and I will help you more and see if I can get the control unit for you.

And when you get the board,if you don't want to pay someone else to comeback and install it for you, just get back to me here and I will help you do it. It is not that hard.

Thanks again and please let me know how you do.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jon,

I looked at the part number the technician gave me -- 2221501. Is it possible that there are different part numbers for the same board? If not is there any way you can determine if this the number you provided, 2252159, is correct or if the other is correct?

The part number provided by the repairman is not listed on the Corecentric site as a part they repair.

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Diana,

The part number the technician gave you is an old number for the old board in your machine. The correct part number for the board is the one I gave you. The most up to date control board part number is 2252159. And Core Centric does repair that board.

It looks like KitchenAid has updated the control board a while back and have given it a newer part number to include the updates. This usually happens when KitchenAid makes a change to the board. It happens often. And if the old board has been discontinued then it would be no longer available nor would Core Centric repair it.

I have gone ahead and checked with Core Centric and they do repair the correct board, again part number 2252159. It looks like they charge $109 for the repair.

Just download their repair form and send them the board and they will repair it and send it back to you. This is going to be the only way that you can fix the ref. But as soon as you get it back from them just get back to me here and I will help you install it.

Please get back to me here if you have any other questions or concerns and I will help you more.