Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

freezer was left open and was making a loud vibration sound...

freezer was left open and was making a loud vibration sound... i unplugged it and now doesnt seem to be workin at all

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Look in the freezer up near the top for model/serial sticker and post the model number. I need the model to be able to see the diagrams.

How long was your freezer unplugged? Also can you hear it operating?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

model number - FFU21F5HWF

Serial Number- WB92441277

i unplugged the freezer for about 5 minutes. I dont hear anything running in the back of the freezer.... there is a big tank thing that is quite warm... not knowing if that helps at all

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX On your digital control is that showing the normal digits you always see?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it shows the number 7... which is the typical setting... there is also a RED INDICATOR LIGHT of HIGH TEMPETURE is on...

The High Temp LED will turn on and the control will beep every five (5) seconds if the temperature of the cabinet remains above 23ºF for more than one hour. The alarm will be turned off when the “ALARM RESET” button is pressed, but the High Temp LED will remain lit until the temperature is again below 23ºF.

There is a normal defrost cycle and your freezer may be in that cycle now. If this is the case you would not hear any sounds at all. The setting is normal, your control will show if there are any errors and in this case it is showing a normal setting which is good.

What has happened is the coils inside the freezer have become clogged with frost from the door being left open. This will cause the air in the freezer to not be circulated and the freezer will warm. The noise you heard was most likely the fan blade hitting that frost. There are 2 ways to resolve this issue.

1. At the lower rear inside at the bottom of the rear wall you will see a panel with 7 or 8 screws. Remove that panel, get a hair dryer and melt the frost out of the coils. Put it all back together then in 3 or 4 hours it will be cooling normally.

2. Unplug it and open the door for about 8 hours to let it melt out. That should take care of the problem.

If you have any questions please use the reply to expert link, if not please leave a rating.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the temp in the freezer is definately above freezing. AS this happened yesterday afternoon... It has been over night without any noise and i dont see any frost in the freezer at all....

is your recommendation to simply empty the freezer of perishables and WAIT 8 hours and hopefully the freezer will kick back on and function properly?

There has to be frost in the coils if it was cold before the door was left open. Warm and cold mixing naturally creates it in the coils, it builds and clogs it. The air from outside gets pulled in right into those coils. If you can do the work just unplug it, remove that lower rear inside panel (that is where the coils are) and melt it out of the coils with a hair dryer. It would be a lot quicker and you may be able to save a lot of your food. I think the reason your not hearing it is because the fan blade has become jammed in frost.

But yes you can let it melt out as well. Either way will work fine. Just be sure that if you remove that panel and melt it with a hair dryer to put that panel back up to direct the air.

Feel of the tank in the rear, is it vibrating lightly? Also feel of the left outside wall. Is there a warm area on that wall?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the tank.... IT is HOT.... and i can barely hear it hummmming... vibrating? very slightly...

no hot on the walls.

am i just lost here? i am concerned because its been like this for about 20 hours now

I believe defrosting will be all you need to do.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

my appliance is still not working...your suggestion was to sit and wait 8 hours or so to allow it to defrost.... BUT THEN WHAT?

Unplug it and open the door for about 8 hours to let it melt out.

Plug it in and turn it on and allow 3 or 4 hours to get cold.