Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

My Frigidaire freezer not working I changed the t-stat but

Customer Question

My Frigidaire freezer not working I changed the t-stat but still nothing
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 1 year ago.

Hi. I'm Smitty. I am a professional appliance repair consultant here to help you diagnose, and repair, your appliance.

What is the model number of your unit, please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

297366300

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
what answer

Sorry for the delay replying. I just got home and had to catch up a few other questions.

Is this a Sears bought unit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't remember

Juanita, the reason I ask is the model number you provided is all numbers. Only Sears uses that type of model number system.

If this is a Sears unit the model number is XXXXX There should be three numbers, a period, and the numbers you posted.

I will need the three numbers, please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok......brb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
waiting for an answer
Juanita, I need the first three numbers from the manufacturers label inside the unit, please..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

mfu14f3gw7

Juanita, I am soirry but I am not faamilliar with this particular model. I will opt out and another expert may have the information you need.

Sorry for the inconvenence.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

okay.....thank you

You are welcome. =)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

MY EXPERT OPT OUT

Expert:  Michelle-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I’m Michelle a moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from another one of our professionals?

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal.

Thank you,

Michelle~Moderator
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi yes I would like for u to help me if u could but I just call to cancel because I didn't think anyone was coming back do I need to call back

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX continue to look for a professional to assist you. No you don't have to call back. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Best,

Michelle-Moderator
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X look forward to helping you! If the freezer is not coming on at all, even after replacing the thermostat, you either do not have power to the outlet it is plugged in to or the defrost timer is in a defrost cycle. Are you certain that the wall outlet is live?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes outlet is live I checked

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Great, thank you! So nothing is running, no fan in the freezer or anything?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No I don't hear anything running

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, that is actually good! On the back of the cabinet, mounted to the left of the compressor, is the defrost timer. It is shown as number 23 in the picture below. Use a flat screwdriver to turn the little plastic "knob" that is on it clockwise, very slowly. Make sure the freezer is plugged in and the thermostat is on. Turn that "knob" until something happens. Does it turn on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok ...Kelly it might take a minute gotta go to the basement and take the cover off....

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
No problem at all, I will be here. This is all in the back of the cabinet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Kelly am back don't see where you wants me to turn knob with screw driver

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Kelly am back don't see where you wants me to turn knob with screw driver I took the timer off yesterday

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
On the left, there is a white plastic part that looks like the picture below. Turn the gray part clockwise slowly...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

do I need to re-install the timer first

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Definitely, the timer has to be installed to complete the electrical circuit for the power to the compressor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Let me know what happens!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

about to try turning the knob

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, fingers crossed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

nothing happent

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
You have the freezer plugged in and the thermostat turned on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think so

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Do you hear the fan in the freezer or any clicking or buzzing from the compressor at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no don't hear anything

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
That is really odd. Do you have a meter to test with?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what kind of meter

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
To test for voltage with.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Can you test the outlet to see if the full 120 VAC is present?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yesh.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, then test the 4 terminals, one at a time, on the defrost timer plug. See if you have 120 VAC between any of the wires to any part of the metal cabinet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

none of the wire is hot coming from timer

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
But you have power at the outlet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Can you test between each of the wires at the thermostat to ground, please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok got to take the cover off brb

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

im not getting any power in the fridge except for the knob inside the freezer , thermostat no power

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Are you getting power to both terminals on this control?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

where is that located Because I cant I don't see it

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
That is the control that the knob is mounted on to turn the freezer up and down.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Number 21 in the diagram below.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yea that's the knob inside the freezer yes I have power to that knob

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
On both of the terminals?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My tic tester shows power on one of the wires wire to the control knob

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, so that thermostat is not working, you should have power on both sides. You need that part, available below.

Thermostat <----- CLICK HERE FOR THE CORRECT PART FOR YOUR MODEL

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know!. You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I ordered the thermostat , its the blue wire that's not hot the black one is hot. do the power go threw the thermostat because only one wire is hot but I think their both supposed to be.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
That is correct, the thermostat opens and closes the contacts to connect those two wires.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have my thermostat and now I need help putting it into the freezer, once we get it in the freezer will it start to work?

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it should take right off! There are only two wires, so make sure the freezer is unplugged and remove the thermostat from its mounting position. Install the new thermostat and connect the wires and you should be good to go!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

its a long silver wire coming off of the back what about it

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
That is the capillary tube and the new one will have the same thing. Route the new one in the same position as the old one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

its not working

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Did you get it all installed? Is the defrost timer in place and plugged in?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes and Yes

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
With the new thermostat on, turn the defrost timer slowly and see if it turns on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I turnt it and its still not working

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
And you are sure you have power to the outlet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, im checking my power to the thermostat

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, I don't have power to the thermostat

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

should both wire be hot from the thermostat because only one is hot

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
If the thermostat is working, the power should be going through one terminal to the other.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the black wires hot not the blue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the black wires hot not the blue. Only one side of the t-stat is hot

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the t-stat was

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delayed response, we have thunderstorms here and we lost power. So is the thermostat allowing the voltage from the black to the blue when on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry about problems with the thunderstorms will it be better if try again tomorrow

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
We should be good here now, they are headed east! So you have 120 VAC up to the black wire on the thermostat but it is not making it through the thermostat when it is on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

right

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

didn't check for 120v just used the tic tester and only the black wire hot

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
I think the tester you are using is registering something other than 120 VAC. You will need a meter we can actually see exactly what voltage you are getting.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok I got a volt tester am going to test to see if I get anything

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, test from black to ground and then blue to ground with the thermostat turned on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I get 120 volts off the black and nothing off the blue

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Even with the thermostat turned on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Can you post a picture of the wires you are testing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

this keeps popping up >>>>

Access Denied

You don't have permission to access "http://www.justanswer.com/appliance/7ufyr-frigidaire-freezer-not-working-changed-t-stat.html" on this server.

Reference #18.b636d83f.1373241765.67af42d

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Shoot, can you upload to www.photobucket.com (it's free) and send me a download link?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Perfect, thank you! If you have power at the black wire to ground and it is not making it through to the blue, that only leaves the thermostat as faulty. That is the only part there!?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

do we need to send the thermostat back?

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
I believe so, yes. You can remove the wires and then test between the terminals for continuity to verify its failure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

okay thanks for your help

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

could I have messed it up with that capillary tube because I had bent it all kinds of ways...

?

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
No, that would not affect the contact inside. That only gets damaged if the tube actually breaks in half.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Hi Kelly got the thermostat put it in and now freezer is running keep fingers cross and thank you so very much......

Expert:  Kelly replied 12 months ago.
That is great news! This one was pretty odd, getting a bad new part does not happen often. Very well done!