Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

Good evening..... I have a GE Profile TFX27PF that lost the

Good evening.....
I have a GE Profile TFX27PF that lost the display a couple of days ago and now the freezer is staying ice cold but the fridge part is staying warm. Is there any hope?
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting JA to help you with this appliance question.

Can you give me a minute to look this model number up please.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Take your time...

Ok can you open the freezer door and look behind the shelfs at the lower panel in the rear, need to know if you see any frost on the panel.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

minimal frost

Ok the problem here is the defrost system has failed, take the shelf's out then remove the lower panel in the rear, Behind here you will see the evaporator (looks like the radiator on a car) below the evaporator you will see the defrost heater, you will need to test this with a ohm meter, if as I suspect this reads open then it will need to be replaced.

Click here to order the replacement part

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

On the display...with it being out...is it just one circuit board
or could it be out for a different reason?

It could be out because the temp is off with the defrost system being bad or it could be the control board in the door causing the problem, I would fix the defrost system then leave the unit plugged in over night, if the display does not come back then it's the control board in the door.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

One last question....which are or what are the color wires for the derost? And yes you will get a high rating...

The defrost heater wires are normally pink and run down the side of the evaporator, follow the wires from the heater to the wire harnes, you can then test at the wire harness.