Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

Amana refrigerator model ABB2224DEQ not cooling. Purchased

Amana refrigerator model ABB2224DEQ not cooling. Purchased in 2006. Had electric surge after a storm a few years ago but worked well since. No longer cools either freezer or refrigerator correctly. Freezer temp is 28 F and refrigerator temp is 45 F.
Was making louder than usual noise for several days before loss of cooling. Inadequate cooling now for almost a week.
Can you guess at what's wrong and if it's worth fixing? I don't want to spend more than about $350 since there are big sales this week for replacements
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Take your time and go around behind the refrigerator. There is a panel at the bottom. Could you remove that panel and check to see if the fan is operating back there please?

Also have you heard a buzz or a click from that area about every 3 to 5 minutes?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can go check but We haven't heard the fan for a couple days
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
That could be the problem take your time and take a look and let me know when you can.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I pulled it out an can see the fan through the small grill. It's not turning.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX a few minutes to type out what to do. Let me know if you have a meter. I will see your response while your typing. This test will absolutely nail down if the compressor has been damaged by the cooling fan not operating.

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a multimeter
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
That fan cools the compressor. If it is not operating the compressor will build heat and the coolant going into the refrigerator is warmer than normal so the refrigerator becomes warmer than normal.

According the the wiring diagram the compressor and the fan back there are on the same circuit so if the compressor has power the fan motor will as well. The first thing to do is to remove that cover and put a window fan back there blowing under the refrigerator from the rear underneath to the front. If the compressor has not been damaged the refrigerator should return to normal temps in a few hours. I would run that test for at least a day or 2. If it returns to normal then replace the fan motor. Part number W10239053. If it does not return to normal temperature then replace the refrigerator, the repair will be well over the $350 limit.

You can test the fan motor for power if you would like by removing the connector from the fan motor, set your meter at 120 volts ac. Put one probe in each side of that connector and with the compressor operating you should find the voltage there. Again according to the wiring diagram I believe you will find it present.

If you have questions please use the reply to expert button. If not please leave a rating.

Thank you,
Barry
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.