Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.

OTR Microwave Samsung Model SMH9187ST Serial No.: J53N7MDZ400258Y

Customer Question

OTR Microwave Samsung Model SMH9187ST Serial No.: J53N7MDZ400258Y Mfg 4/2010
Door Latch will not engage. Seems the internal Spring has failed or attachment point is broken.

I have some diagrams but cannot figure how to access the inside of the door to assess and repair the problem.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Jon :

hello

Jon :

my name is XXXXX XXXXX i am an authorized samsung service tech and i can help you today.

Jon :

give me one minute to pull up the info on your model micro

Jon :

ok. got it.

Jon :

now on your model there is a small retention spring on the door hook. is that what you are looking to get into? or are you looking to get in behind the control board area to work on the door interlock and switches the door hook locks into?

Jon :

it seems you are trying to get to the door key. that is on and inside the door.

Jon :

on your model micro

Jon :

you just have to take a small thin flat screwdriver or putty knife and remove the door cover on the inside of the door.

Jon :

open the micro doo and look just were the door key that latches into the lock and you will see the black cover that needs to come off all the way around the door frame.

Jon :

let me chow you a diagram of the part you need to remove so you can clearly see what i am talking about.

Jon :

CLICK ON THE IMAGE ABOVE AND LOOK AT DIAGRAM PART NUMBER D006.

Jon :

that is the cover that needs to be pryed off the door frame. but please go slow and only remove one side at a time as you work you way all around the door. the clips are what you are going to pry off the door frame to get the cover off so you can get into the door and repair the spring to the door key.

Customer:

It appears the cover wraps under the door. I will start and see what happens. Thanks

Jon :

here is an ok video showing you how to remove the door cover to access the door key on a microwave. i know the micro in the video is not the same as yours. but all microwaves are very closely similar and are made in almost the same way. so this video should help you check yours out.

Jon :

what the video first it will help.

Jon :

then please get back to me here if you need any other help

Jon :

if you need parts here is the info.

Jon :

the spring for the key is part number DE61-00048A and should about $2

Jon :

that actually doesnt break much. it is usually the door key itself that cracks and breaks and the spring becomes unhooked. so you would actually need to replace the door key. the door key part number is DE64-01308A. that should cost about $4

Jon :

if you need any other part info please get back to me here and i will help you more.

Customer:

I think I watched this video before, but it was a little dark. I will review again.

Jon :

and if you feel that I have helped to answer your questions please remember to rate my performance positively below this chat now with ok service or better rating. This is the only way that I get credit for helping. And if you have more questions after positively rating me please feel free to get back to me here at any time and I will help you for no additional charge.

Jon :

thanks

Jon :

ok. please do. i know the video is not the best. they dont go into much detail and it is shot poorly. but it will help you a bit and it is the best video i can find on short notice.

Jon :

if you cant view the video or need more help please get back to me here and I will help you more.

Customer:

Thanks. I have used Just Answer before regarding a Gas Stove that needed quite a bit of work. It went well and I am sure this will too.

Jon :

but if the door key has lost its tension and doesnt move up and then down then the spring is most likely off the door key. and again that can and usually is due to bad a or broken door key. and you will need to carefully remove the door choke which si actually the cover that goes around and over the door key. after that is off you should see clealry if the spring is bad or the door key.

Jon :

i am sure you will do just fine as well. please get back to me here if you need anything else or have any other questions and i will help you through it. but please just remember to rate my performance positively now.

Jon :

thanks.

Customer:

It will be easier if I can remove the door. Is that difficult?

Customer:

OK all done. The door key spring holder broke off. I had ordered and received another door key today and replaced it. All is good.

Customer:

Still would like to know how to get the door itself off though. Thanks.

Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Don,

Thanks again for the positive rating. It is greatly appreciated.

To get the door off you will need to remove the top grill. To do so just remove the two or three screws above it. Get up on step stool so you can see them clearly. Just remove the screws then pull off the grill. This will give you more room to remove the door.

With the top grill off the microwave you can grab hold of the door, as it is opened, and pull the door up and off the hinges. There are two little nubs or pins as I believe they are called, that hold the door into the hinge. Just lift the top part of the door close to the top door hinge and remove it from the hinge. Then pull the bottom part of the door off the same way.

The door should come off easily. If it doesn't don't force it. You don't want to break the door.

If you have difficulty get back to me here and I will help you more. And even try to find a video to show you how to do it. Or if you want you can search YouTube. They usually have good videos showing you how to do it.

Thanks again for the positive rating and please get back to me here if you need help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Many thanks Jon and Just Answer.

Til next time.

Don

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. Anytime.

Please fell free to come back to us at anytime for all of your questions and we'll help as best as we can.

Thanks again.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Hi Jon, I'm back. If possible Jon can you comment on the following. We can open a new ticket if needed.

I used this microwave's auto cook for a baked potato. Had to select it three times as it did not cook sufficiently. On the third time the potato evidently caught fire (I was not in the room). Smoke from that wafted out.

I unplugged overnight but the oven will not restart. The plug is functioning.

Is there a fuse or other item I can replace prior to looking for another oven. (I'm not happy with this Samsung but...)

Many Thanks

Don