Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Hello. I have a kenmore model 110.63102101 type D433-ELE-2406028-FM54

Customer Question

Hello. I have a kenmore model 110.63102101 type D433-ELE-2406028-FM54 and The drum has stopped spinning. I tested some wires, replaced the push to start switch, and believe the start button wires are bad. Is there a way I can replace the wires myself or do I need to have a tech do it.? The wires are white/red and black and tracing them, go to the very bottom of the dryer. Please help and thanks in advance.!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! Does it just sit there silently when you attempt to start it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes. Its totally dead and the timer still clicks when turned and those wires tested good and the door button clicks when pressed.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

There is a thermal fuse in your dryer that may be open and not allowing your dryer to start. This thermal fuse is wired in series with the motor and is designed to prevent the machine from overheating. This fuse is located in the back of your dryer behind the rear panel. Unplug the dryer and remove the rear panel and set it aside. If you look just to the left of the vent tube that the exhaust hose hooks to, you will see a white, rectangular plastic part with two wires going to it, probably blue wires, that is the thermal fuse. It is number 7 in the diagram below. With the dryer unplugged, remove the wires from the thermal fuse and tape them together so they are making full contact with each other. Plug the dryer back in and see if it will then start. If it does, the thermal fuse will need to be replaced, but you will also need to determine why it opened. The thermal fuse is pictured below. Let me know what happens after this simple test.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It works.!

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Great! Now, we need to find out why it opened. Do you have a meter to test with?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I used to but misplaced it awhile back and havent gotten another one yet. Now I wish I did.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
No worries, we can work around it! Turn the dryer on but do not start it. Does the heating element come on without starting the dryer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How do I turn it on without starting it.? Theres only the timer switch and the start button...?

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
You just turn the dryer timer to a setting that calls for heat. Make sure the door is shut but do not start the motor. Once the timer is set to a cycle calling for heat, see if it gets hot even though you have not started it. Let me know what happens, please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Nope still cold inside and idk if the element makes a sound or not but the only sound is the timer clicking when I turn it.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, great! So, the element is not shorted, leaving the air flow in question. Clean out your vent line and make sure there are no kinks in the vent hose behind the dryer. This should prevent the fuse from opening once it is replaced. The fuse you need is available below.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Thermal Fuse <----- CLICK HERE FOR THE CORRECT PART FOR YOUR MODEL

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know!. You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

One more thing, would I be able to use the dryer with heat and everything and bypass the switch until I get a new one or will it not heat.? I cleaned out the lent trap and there was a lot of lent built up at the bottom of it; the hose was clear.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
It will run and heat with that bypassed, however, I cannot recommend you do that because you have bypassed a safety component.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay. Lets say I use it tonight and get the switch tomorrow, do you think it would over heat to the point where it could catch fire.?

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
No, if you cleaned the vent line, it should be fine. I just can't recommend you do that.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.!

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
You bet! Have a great weekend!