Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Frigidaire 4.5 cu ft compact refrigerator model #LFPH45F4LM

I have a Frigidaire 4.5 cu ft compact refrigerator model #LFPH45F4LM about 1.5 yrs old. It periodically stops cooling and if I unplug and plug it back in, it will start up again for a few days until it stops again. It seems to be occurring more frequently now. Any ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

When the unit stops cooing, is the refrigerator completely silent? And how long do you have to unplug the unit for before you plug it back in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it is completely silent. I actually don't know how long I have to unplug it. When I plug it back in, sometimes it starts running, sometimes it doesn't. Even when it doesn't appear to re-start after plugging back in, I have found it running again a day or two later. So I am not sure if unplugging it is actually doing anything.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK so if you don't hear anything running at all when it shuts off, it sounds like you either have a faulty defrost timer or a bad thermostat control (the part behind the control you turn to adjust the temperature for the refrigerator). Since the problem is sporadic, there is really no way to test which part is faulty for certain. But if you unplug the unit and sometimes when you plug the unit back in and it starts up right away, that is not your defrost timer. It sounds like your thermostat will need to be replaced, but you'll need to contact Figidaire for parts because this unit is one of the less expensive models which parts are sold through distributers I'm afraid.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the quick response. It seems like most of the time it does not immediately restart (now that I think of it), which would mean it would be the defrost timer. Can you tell me roughly where that is located?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
It's not about "most of the time" If it EVER starts up immediately when you plug it back in, the defrost timer is not your problem. That being said, I couldn't say where the defrost timer is located without being there, but it's usually located on the back of the refrigerator down by the compressor or inside the control panel inside the refrigerator.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.