Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

on my GE range the oven doesnt light. all others, top, broil

on my GE range the oven doesn't light. all others, top, broil and self-clean work.
please help, thank you
model PGS908DEP2WW
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting JA to help you with this appliance question.

Can you give me a moment to look up the model number please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sure....

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
ok does the oven light on the self clean? or just the broiler on self clean?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

lights on the broiler, on self self-clean and the door locks and the top flames, all work fine.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok Thanks for that,

The problem here is going to be the igniter, Take the floor out the oven then remove the flame spreader, you will see the igniter toward the rear of the burner. Set the oven for 350f then watch to see if the igniter glows.

If the igniter does not glow shut the power off then pull the igniter out and test it with a ohm meter, if as I suspect it reads open then it will need to be replaced.

If the igniter does glow then it's still bad, a good igniter will glow bright yellow to the point where you cant look at it, If the igniter glows yellow/orange it's bad.

Click here to order a igniter

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Thanks!

Mike.

Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you,

i am not at home now...

i will check this out when i get home, to see if that is the problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Your diagnosis was correct.
I bought a new igniter at my local parts supplier.
Took about 20 minutes to replace it and my wife is happy.
Thank you.
Nissan

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome Nissan :) thanks for trusting us at JA to help you with your problem.