Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

Model CM24T Coffee Maker SN 7610 Paid a tech $90 yesterday

Model CM24T Coffee Maker
SN 7610
Paid a tech $90 yesterday to look at the unit. Making weak coffee. He had no clue and said that he would have to call in for advice the next day. I thought it was a bad O-ring as I could see it jamming in the cylinder. After the tech left I pulled the piston apart. It was not an O-ring but a plastic disk- severely plugged with grounds. The metal screen on top was also plugged. I cleaned all and reinstalled.
At first this seemed to fix the problem- but the piston still jams. Grounds do not fall in the cylinder. Dacor will not refer me to tech advice. Tech's company tells me that I need to pay $600 for new cylinder, and $500 in labour to install. $1100 for a cup of coffee! NOT GOING TO HAPPEN! We have never used flavored beans and this machine has only been here one and 18 months. I can see replacing the plastic piston- but this is apparently not an option. Suggestions?
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! The parts breakdown is below. I see no reason why you can't get the piston alone as it is listed as a separate part!?

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This does not answer my question. What needs to be replaced to make this system work?

I will place your question back to the list, I thought you were only looking for the parts.
Hello, I will attempt to offer some useful advice. There is no need to consider it an answer or rate my attempt here. I am operating entirely in the blind and am simply trying to assist you without compensation at this point.

The first thing to do is examine the cylinder for wear.. if it still looks good, then replace the defective plastic part and see if that works. If that does not work then there is likely a problem with the cylinder and it must be replaced...

....and of course that is not reasonable for well built equipment, a hard to replace part should not be failing this soon... but such failure is common for poorly built equipment.

Your experience in those regards XXXXX XXXXX the quality of that manufactures product.

Let me know if you need more coaching on this issue and will rate that sort of assistance positively or not.. we can go from there.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Phil, (Hope Kelly sees this as well)

The Tech that looked at the unit had no clue. I took it apart and cleaned it. It was really packed with grounds. Dacor has a cleaning schedule that does not include these items.

With the parts list and exploded view I could see that Part 131 was missing. (Found and installed same) This is why after cleaning it did still not work and distribute coffee as it should. What I really needed was somebody who knew these machines and what makes them work.

Seems to be making coffee at present. Lots cheaper than $1100/cup (for the first one)

I will probably order a new piston and O-ring and replace them as PM. (I am an engineer -PE Mining/Civil)

Dacor is at fault here- they should of provided a parts list in the first place.

I intend to send them a letter.

Richard LaPrairie, PE

Good work! Maybe you want to give Kelly a positive rating for posting the parts list if you feel it was worth it.