Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a whirlpool gas dryer that will not heat . What could

I have a whirlpool gas dryer that will not heat . What could be the problem here ?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you have a model number so that I can better assist you? And if you turn the dryer on, do you see the igniter glowing when it should be heating?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Model # XXXXX I am not able to see if it is glowing . Is there a way to see it ?
OK so by far teh most likely thing that is going to cause the dryer tonot heat at all is your thermal fuse. You'll want to pull the dryer forward and unplug it. Remove all the screws going into the back panel and remove the back panel. There is a small 1" thin white plastic device mounted just above the exhaust exit pipe where your vent hose connects. If you know how to check continuity, disconnect the 2 wires (usually they are 2 blue or grey wires) and check continuity through the fuse. If it's open, then replace that fuse. Now if you don't have a multimeter to test continuity, put a jumper wire between the 2 blue wires to "bypass" the fuse. Now plug the dryer in and run a test cycle. Does it heat? If so, replace the fuse.

Now if the fuse either has continuity or you bypassed the fuse and the dryer still doesn't heat, you need to take the dryer apart and see if the igniter glows or not. It sounds like you know how to get inside the dryer because you already replaced the igniter so I'll not go over that, but you need to disconnect the belt and pull the drum out. Plug the door switch back in so that the dryer knows the door is shut, and then turn the dryer on to see if the igniter glows while the motor is running. That would be the first step in determining which direction to go if the fuse isn't the problem.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!