Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have an 8 yo frigidaire upright freezer. It has been just

I have an 8 yo frigidaire upright freezer. It has been just barely cooling for months. Three nights ago, smelled burning, but didn't link it to freezer until I heard and saw water trickling out from under it. At that point, the motor/compressor also stopped running. Unplugged freezer. Assume it defrosted for the next 48 hours. Plugged it back in and it immediately cooled to appropriate levels. However, 2 hours later, burning smell is back. Sides and rear are hot to touch. Unplugged. Now what?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So the key to your problems is the burning smell and the sides getting hot to the touch. This means that your compressor is overloading and cutting out.  It will turn off for a few minutes and then try again over and over.  Pull the refrigerator forward and unplug the refrigerator.  Remove the lower back access panel and locate your large black round compressor.  There is a small plastic box attached to the side of the compressor with several wires going into it.  This is your overload relay.  Pull the overload relay off the compressor and shake it.  If it rattles, then it needs to be replaced.  If it doesn't rattle, then you likely have a bad compressor and you'll need to call a technician in order to replace the compressor.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How do I "pull it off"? BTW, compressor is burning hot.

Aye, the compressor is burning hot because it's over heating. I'm not there so I can't see how the oeverload relay is attached, but there is either a retaining ring that you pry on and the slip a flat head screwdriver between the overload relay and compressor and just pry on it to pop it off, or there is no retaining ring and you just pry.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

got it off. sounds like something is sliding around in there. definitely a rattle of sorts. is that what you would expect?

There is one metal piece in the overload that will flip back and forth, but that is it and it should be really light. But if there is any question at all, replace the overload relay because it might just be getting weak and tripping for no reason now. The cost of the relay is about $50 and the cost of a new compressor is $550-$600 so it's not worth repairing.