Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Have a Kenmore refrigerator side-by-side with water dispenser.

Customer Question

Have a Kenmore refrigerator side-by-side with water dispenser. Model(NNN) NNN-NNNN- can't locate manual on web.

With water leaking at base of freezer section, I believe it's the drain hole, but I can't easily locate it.

How do I locate and access the drainhole? Will I have to touch the water dispenser unit? Thanks. Cecile
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So you are exactly right, this is a problem with the drain line and you do not need to touch the water dispenser unit. This is a very common issue and it means that your defrost drain line has frozen over and will need to be thawed out. This often times happens for no reason at all and is just random. You will need to remove everything out of your freezer and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer. Use a hair dryer to thaw all the ice out and locate the drain hole. Pour hot water down the drain hole until it's draining properly again. Once it's draining properly blow compressed air down to make sure it's clear. If you don't have compressed air, use a turkey baster to make sure the drain line is clear and draining properly.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

"Remove the lower back panel inside the freezer"

I see screws holding in the brackets that hold up the shelving. There is a louvered vent about a third of the way up - I don't know what's behind that. But I don't easily see a "lower back panel" where I take out a few screws and it will just pop out. There are coverings over the shelf supports or over the louvered panel, but no simple back panel. Cecile

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
That entire metal back panel come out once you remove the screws going into the shelving brackets and remove the shelving. Then remove the screws going into the back panel and the back panel will sort of pull forward and bend up and out of your way to access the drain.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

okay - understand I'm taking out the shelving brackets to access the back panel. I hope the back panel has an upper and lower piece,

Visually -- it all looks like one big panel going from top to bottom in the freezer -- and the top of the panel is behind the water dispenser. I'm really praying that I don't have to play with the water dispenser at all -- and there is a lower part of the panel that's going to come out. Is that right? Or will I have to deal with the dispenser at the top of the refrigerator in front of the panel? Cecile

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
You don't deal with the dispenser at all. I can say if it comes out all the way or not because I'm not there. But the metal flexes easily so you can pull it forward and up and gain enough space to work on the drain.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It turned out the drip pan with the blocked hole was behind the vent panel about 1/3 of the way up the back panel, inside the freezer compartment. Once we took that off, we could see the ice in the tray and get it unblocked. We didn't have to take off any other screws or panels. On this model the drop pan is just accessed through the small vented panel. I guess it's different than models you're familiar with.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Either way, I'm very glad you have it all taken care of now. I always remove the entire back panel because the trough that builds up ice runs along the entire back of the freezer so there could still be ice build up on the sides without removing the back panel.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, I understand. It's working fine now, so I guess it's ok.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
aye, you should be good I would think.