Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Jenn Air French door fridge leaking water out of bottom of

Jenn Air French door fridge leaking water out of bottom of freezer. Seems like condensate maybe coming out the front. Tried shutting off water for few days, no change. Ice builds up in bottom of freezer indentation, once that is full of ice, it starts leaking out the front. Frozen condensate line? How do I unclog?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Unfortunately this is not an easy issue to fix on these bottom freezer top refrigerators. You will want to unplug the unit for 24 hours to allow all the ice to thaw out. Once the ice is thawed out, the best way to clean the drain line is from the bottom up because going at it from the inside is really difficult. If you pull the refrigerator forward and remove the bottom access panel and locate the rubber hose which comes down directly from the middle or so of the freezer floor toward the back and use something like a turkey baster to shoot hot water up the hose. Once it's clear and you can blow air through the hose, you're good to go again. Also, if you have the ability to just unplug the refrigerator for 24 hours that'll thaw all the ice out and them you can just blow air up and clear the drain out.

The other option is to remove the drawer out of the freezer, then remove all the racks and rails on the side walls. Remove the plastic vent directly in the middle of the back panel toward the top. Remove all the screws going into the back panel because the ultimate goal is to remove the back panel. Once the back panel is removed, you can use a hair dryer to thaw the drain line out. Pour hot water down the drain hole until it's draining properly again. Once it's draining properly blow compressed air down to make sure it's clear. If you don't have compressed air, use a turkey baster to make sure the drain line is clear and draining properly. Cut a solid copper piece of wire about 6 inches long. Wrap it around the defrost heater a couple times just above the drain hole and extend it 2 inches into the defrost drain hole. That will transfer heat into the drain hole when the defrost heater turns on and will prevent the defrost drain line from freezing over in the future.

Also, if you didn't want to use a copper wire, there is an actual kit made which you can wrap around the heater if you wanted to buy the actual kit to perform this task.

CLICK HERE for kit

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Does the drain line originate at the bottom middle behind the panel?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Yes it does. Right behind that back panel inside the freezer directly in the middle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I pulled out all the freezer parts and door cover but getting all the rails, ice maker etc. is going to be difficult. I can kind of stick my finger down into the top of the drain, it is mostly covered by the back panel but a small portion is visible.

Do you think pouring some boiling water in there will do the trick?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
So yes, that's what makes this job difficult is moving everything out of the freezer. I would use a turkey baster. Shooting hot water directly at it will do a lot more than just pouring hot water over top of it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So its draining but slowly. If I dump half a cup of hot water on it, it pools up. But a few minutes later it drains down. Is that the normal expectation or is it partially blocked still?

Thoughts about next steps to finish?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
That's partially blocked. The next step would be to go behind the refrigerator and blow compressed air up the drain hose from the bottom. Or use a pipe cleaner if you have one.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So when I stick my hand up there I feel like a squeezy bladder thing. think of a rubber piece with lips, when I pinch at the corners of the mouth it opens, when I let go it is more closed.

Maybe that is supposed to limit air circulation into the freezer? Possibly that causes it to drain slowly?

Back panel has all wires and hoses running through it so that is no joy to take off, I just have it ajar, not off.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
So yes, that is supposed to prevent air from going back in, but you may need to replace it if its not allowing the water to drain quick enough because it should only take 30 seconds to drain out and not a few minutes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK putting it back together, seems to drain ok.

Thanks

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
No problem. I'm glad I could help.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.