Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a gas Maytag dryer model MDG3706AWW. Heat comes on initially

I have a gas Maytag dryer model MDG3706AWW. Heat comes on initially but after a while the burner shuts off and won't come back on. I can turn the dryer off, wait a while then restart and again the burner turns off after a while.
Can you help me out?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

First, make sure your vent is cleaned and the best way to do that is just run a cycle without the vent hose connected to the back of the dryer to see if things change. If your dryer still won't dry properly, then this is a pretty common issue unfortunately and it means that your gas coils are starting to fatigue and need to be ordered and replaced. As the coils heat up, the unit stops opening the valve or can't hold it open as long as intended because it gets weak. You just need to order and replace the 2 black cylinder gas coils located directly in front of the igniter. Below is a link to the part you'll need to order and replace.

Now to get inside this dryer, use a putty knife and push on the two hidden metal spring clips that hold the top panel to the front panel. These clips are located in the crease between the top and front panel. If both clips are pushed back, the top panel will unclip and hinge up and backwards so that you can access the screws goin ginto the front panel from the inside of the dryer on the right and left side. Remove these screws and the front panel will hinge forward and down. Now you have access to the coils.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!