Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

dryer will not continue to run after releasing the start button.

dryer will not continue to run after releasing the start button. I held the button down, and it ran for 6 seconds. Then it cut out. A strong burnt smell is near the motor. What could be wrong?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Just to be certain, the dryer has worked in the past with no problems correct? You didn't change up the power cord on the dryer or move it to a new location when this started happening?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, it has worked in the past. No change in power cord or moving it. Model is Sears 110.72722101.

OK so unfortunately that only leaves a jammed drum or a faulty motor. You'll need to take this dryer apart so that you can get inside and make sure nothing is jamming up the drum. If everything checks good, then the motor would need to be replaced. Below is a link to the motor you'd need to order as well as a video that shows you how to remove the motor.

CLICK HERE for part and video

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. I will order the motor. Is there a time limit on how long I can ask you questions?

Not really. You can continue asking follow-up questions even after you rate my service months later if you run into something.