Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My Amana BC20TW Bottom Freezer is not getting cold enough.

My Amana BC20TW Bottom Freezer is not getting cold enough. The refrigerator seems to be operating fine. The freezer is cold, cut not cold enough to freeze ice cream. The problem started about one month ago. I have already cleaned the fan on the back. What else should I try? Thanks.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So if the refrigerator is working properly, you have a sealed system problem or a bad freezer thermostat. You said you've already cleaned the coils on the back and made sure the fan is running, so if you wanted to confirm the issue you can pull everything out of the freezer and remove the back panel. You should see the silver coils lightly frosted from top to bottom if the sealed system is working properly. I would expect that you will see the coils partially frosted and others completely bare silver. This means you have a freon leak or an inefficient compressor. You can't fix either issue yourself, but you'd need a technician to come out and tap into the freon system to see if you have a freon leak or a bad compressor. The compressor would cost about $550 to replace and a freon leak would be close to $350 to fix.

If for some reason the coils were lightly frosted from top to bottom and left to right, then you just need to replace the freezer thermostat.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.