Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Amana Fridge with bottom freezer. bottom freezer has been

Amana Fridge with bottom freezer. bottom freezer has been creating frost on everything and entire sides are freezing up
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you have a model number so that I can better assist you by chance? And if you shut the freezer drawer and open the refrigerator doors to look around the door seal on the freezer, is the seal sealing up all the way across the top, and around the right side and left side?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

model .ARB1917CW seal seems to be tighter on bottom and bottom sides than top. 'accordian' doessn't seem to go all the way in when closed.

So it doesn't matter if the gasket gets pushed tight all the way around, that will vary, but as long as the door seal is touching the frame of the freezer all the way around, that is all that matters.

Either way, you have one of two problems, either your door seal is not sealing up properly, or the freezer is just way too cold. You'll need an alternate thermostat to test the temperature of the freezer. It should be right at about 0 degrees up to about 5 degrees.

If your temperature is below 0 at something like -5 degrees or -10 degrees, that will definitely cause rapid frost build up. So if it's that cold, try to turn the temperature control for the freezer warmer, and if that doesn't solve the problem, the thermostat for the freezer will need to be replaced.

As for the other possibility of the door seal not sealing up properly, pull the freezer drawer out and make sure there isn't something like food or an ice cube hitting the back of the bin against the back wall or on the bin itself preventing the drawer pushing back all the way.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!