Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Reading error code L2 on a 2009 Whirlpool Duet electric dryer

with steam
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So error "L2" means that you're only getting 120 volts to the dryer and not 240 volts. Pull the dryer out and remove the back access panel. Test power between the two outside terminals where the power cord attaches. You should have 240 volts between these wires. If you do, then your main relay control board above the dryer drum mounted to the left side panel is shorted and needs to be replaced. If you don't, then try to flip the circuit breaker off and back on. If that doesn't work, you may need an electrician to come out and see where through your house you're loosing power.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer reply replied 3 years ago.

I was 90% sure thats what the problem was too...but I didn't ant to spend $200 on a circuit board if it was not needed. I needed an expert, I'm very handy but without the service code guide I was not 100% sure..I'm an electrician & yes I do have 240 volts at the dryer terminals, also when I pust start I hear a click a the main board, I beleive its a relay. It sounds like it wants to heat but can't does this also confirm its the circuit board &reading all wires which lead out of board with a tic traer, I read no power...Can you confirm?

Yes, that would confirm that your control board is definitely bad. If you're getting 240 volts, the dryer won't heat and it's getting an L2 error, the definitely means the board needs to be replaced.

I'm just following up to see how your appliances is doing since I haven't heard back from you and this question is still open. Is there anything else that I can help you with today?