Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Have a Kenmore elite he3t washer. Use it last night, no problem.

Have a Kenmore elite he3t washer. Use it last night, no problem. Today door will not latch. Held drain/spin button in for 3 seconds. Still door will not latch. Is there a reset button? What is the problem? Is it an easy fix?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

I see you're trying to unlock your control panel by pressing and holding the drain/spin button, but are you able to select and change all the different cycles and options? It just won't start when you press and hold the start button?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Nno problem selecting cycles, lights go on but I can not get door to lock.

OK so then that is not a control lock problem. You have an issue with the door latch itself where either the door lock has failed, or the latch isn't sensing that the door is shut. Try to unplug the unit for 60 seconds and see if the electronics will reset. Securely shut the door and if you still can't start a cycle, you'll need to order and replace the door latch assembly. It's actually a fairly easy part to replace if you're handy. You'll need to unplug the washer and open the door to start with. Then there is a wire ring around the front lip of the rubber door gasket. Use a flat head screwdriver and pry the wire ring off. From there you can pull the gasket back out of the way. Remove the screws going into the door latch from the front and reach behind to replace the door latch assembly. And if you have the full model number located on a sticker just inside the door way (it'll start with 110 . XXXXXXXXXX) I can give you a link to the door lock if you'd like.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

upon closer inspection, I can see someone broke latch on door. Just found the piece on the carpet. I will need to order part. It is just the black plastic piece on the door that is held on with two screws, if I am looking at it correctly. Is that correct?

That is correct yes. If the plastic prong on the door itself broke, then you just need to replace the latch striker. That part is very in-expensive and only held in by 2 screws so it's usually fairly easy to replace.