Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

MY Kenmore washing machine is making a lot of noise and walking

MY Kenmore washing machine is making a lot of noise and walking to the middle of the room. It is also leaking water from the bottom. The model # XXXXX XXXXX C41062-00

Jon :

hello

Jon :

my name is XXXXX XXXXX i am an appliance expert and i can help you today. thank you for using our services here at justanswer.com

Jon :

your main complaint is the machine is noisy and actually shakes so much it moves around the floor? is that correct? and you have a leak because of it?

Jon :

How old is the washing machine?

Jon :

are you still there?

Jon :

please get back to me here if you still need help. thank you.

Customer:

Hi Jon It looks like the drum has come loose. We just did a half load test and can see that it is leaking from the right side just above the hose connection. The rubber seal inside the machine is twisted because the drum is now sitting 3 or 4 inches lower in the front.

Customer:

The machine is about 10 years old

Customer:

I guess our main questions are : is this something we can fix for ourselves, what is the approximate cost to have it fixed, and is it worth fixing considering the age of the machine

Jon : Sorry for the delayed response but i am just now getting your response to my questions. There must have been an issue with the live chat feature.
Jon : To answer your questions , no it is not worth fixing nor is it something you guys can do.
Jon : The problem you are having is with the main bearing of the washer. The main bearing is what holds the drum up and allows it to spin and rotate. So if the bearings start to fail not only will the drum say a bit but it will start to wobble when spinning and eventually become very loud as the drum hits and rubs against the front cover of the washer. Which it sounds like it is doing on your machine.
Jon : And after a while of rubbing on the front cover the gasket will start to warp and bend and even break or tear. Which causes the machine to leak water.
Jon : The fix for this machine is to replace the main bearing, front cover and gasket. And the price alone for these parts would be more then a new washer alone. Even before a labor charge. It is unfortunate but this usually happens with these kinds of model washers after about ten years.
Jon : And since the machine is more then 8 years old I would never recommend sinking that much money into repairing and old washer. It would just be better to get yourself a newer more energy efficient washer. Inwould recommend a top load whirlpool. They last the longest and will not break as quickly. You can get a good one for about $500.
Jon : The repair cost to fix yours is more then $500 so it just makes sense to replace rather then fix it.
Jon : Please get back to me here if you have any other questions and I would be happy to help you more. And if you feel that I have helped to answer your questions about your washer please remember to rate my performance positively below this chat now with ok service or better rating. This is the only way that I get credit for helping you from the website. And if you have more questions about this washer after positively rating me please come back here at any time and I will help you more for no additional charge.
Jon : Thank you.
Customer:

Thank you very much

Sharon,

Thank you for the positive rating and very generous bonus. It is greatly appreciated. Should you have any other questions please feel free to get back to me here at any time and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again.