The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

I have a 1988 Mallard RV with a 8662 Norcold refrigerator that

I have a 1988 Mallard RV with a 8662 Norcold refrigerator that works on both propane and AC. It recently stopped cooling. I cycled between propane and AC with no change so I disconnected it for 24 hours.

Before disconnecting it I noticed the aluminum box on the back (heat ex-changer I believe) was getting very hot, In fact to hot to touch.

After 24 hours being off I reconnected it and gave it a couple hours. When I checked it you could tell it was trying to cool but had minimal output. I also checked the box again and it again was to hot to the touch.

Before it was actually to cold and even on the lowest setting it would partially freeze items in the vegetable trays. I also noticed the front lower panel that should make good contact with the rubber seal is starting to rust a little. If I push on the door I can hear air escaping from the fridge. Is this related?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 1 year ago.

Hi. I'm Smitty. I am a professional appliance repair consultant here to help you diagnose, and repair, your appliance.

Have you noticed any ammonia smell at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No

Randy, I believe there is a recall on these units for the overheating problem. One moment and I will confirm and get you the information you need to have it repaired.

Experience: 30 years repairing appliances

Okay, Randy. This model is not listed on the recall sheets, but if it is overheating then you should take it to the nearest authorized repair facility. They will inspect it and confirm that it is overheating and repair it under the recall for overheating units.

This is a very dangerous issue so please do not operate the unit until it is inspected. If it overheats enough there is a possibility of an explosion.

Please let me know if you have any other immediate concerns.
If not please select a positive rating at this time. Doing so will not close your question, and after you rate my service you may ask any followup questions you like. All at no additional charge.
Thank you for the opportunity to serve you.
Best, Smitty
**How to rate your expert**

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Why would they repair it under the recall for overheating units if it is not listed on the recall list? Wouldn't the manufacturer turn down the repair leaving me with the repair bill?

Also in the Seattle area (north) do you have any idea how I can find an authorized dealer?

The recall was for overheating units. The models in the recall sheet were known to have this problem. It doesnt mean that none of the other models did not have the problem.

Anytime a Norcold unit heats up it should be brought to the attention of the manufacturer. This may be a new addition to the recall sheet. The only way to find out is to take it in for an inspection. If they want to charge you for the inspection then take it elsewhere. It doesnt take the technician any time at all to turn it on, let it run for a bit , and see if it is overheating. If it overheats then they should repair it under the overheating recall and report it to Thetford (norcold parent company).

Most any major RV dealership is authorized.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK it is working on propane but when I switch it over to electric the pilot is not going out. Shouldn't the pilot turn off when on electric?

Yes it should. This may be the result of the overheating problem or just a symptom of it. Im really not sure. Ill look into it in the morning. I had to go out of town today and just got back. Its 1:15 am and Im beat.

Type to you then.

Best, Smitty