Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech

the control panel on my Maytag model MFI2266AEB refrigerator

the control panel on my Maytag model MFI2266AEB refrigerator has locked up. touching the buttons does nothing, currently struck on ice dispense and won't switch to water
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

repairguy :

Hello my name isXXXXX will assist you today.

repairguy :

Can you please give me the full model number please

repairguy :

Also once you provide me with the model number, I would like you to unplug the unit from the wall for 5 minutes. During that time with the use of a blow dryer, direct heat on display and run your fingers over the buttons, then restore power to the unit and let me know if this has corrected your problem.

buzzb516 :

model number MFI2266AEB

buzzb516 :

unit was unplugged for five minutes, hair dryer was used, no change

repairguy :

It is hard to tell from the picture, usually when you push to change from crushed to cube can you feel the button push?

buzzb516 :

there is no option for crushed only water or cube

repairguy :

ok but when you push to change, did you feel like a button push or a click

buzzb516 :

it is digital, never had a push or a click

repairguy :

from the picture it didnt look like it.

repairguy :

From what you are telling me I would say you have a bad display board. You can buy a new one from www.automaticappliance.com for $141.46 the part number you need is 67006294. You might find it cheaper on another site, but I am comfortable with this company as it is who we use at my normal job.

buzzb516 :

this happened before and I had to reset the code to 0000 then back to original code, I 'm just not sure how to get it in to program mode

buzzb516 :

I know that you have to hit press a few buttons at the same time just not sure which ones

repairguy :

give me a second and I will see if I can help

repairguy :
The Program Code is located on the Serial Plate on this unit after the word Code.
1. Open the Fresh Food door and hold the Fresh Food door light switch closed while pushing the Freezer Temperature Down Key pad 3 times consecutively.

Note:

The 3 Keystrokes must be done consecutively and within 10 seconds.
2. Release the Fresh Food door light switch.
3. The control will display PE to confirm entry into the programming mode.
Freezer Refrigerator

P

4. Entry is confirmed by pressing the Freezer Down key once more.

Note:

All control functions will be turned off (Compressor, Defrost, Evaporator Fan, the damper will remain in its current position).
5. The control will display the current Program Code. This value should be validated with the Program Code printed on the unit serial plate.

2

Freezer Refrigerator5

Note:

If the Program Code is correct, the Programming Mode is exited by closing the Refrigerator door(s).
6. To set the desired Program Code number press the Freezer and Refrigerator UP keys. The corresponding digit will be advanced with each key press.
7. Once the desired Program Code is displayed, press the Freezer DOWN Key until the Program Code begins flashing indicating it has been saved.

Note:

If you attempt to enter an invalid Program Code the control will not save the new code, but will flash the old code and this will be displayed. (The unit will NOT run with a Program Code of 00).
8. Once the Program Code has been saved the Programming Mode is exited by closing the Refrigerator door(s). If the new code is incorrect this process should be repeated after closing the Refrigerator door(s).
repairguy :

Does this sound like the steps you took before

buzzb516 :

I don't remember holding a door open, I thought it was all on the key pad, but I will try

repairguy :

1. First you need the Program Code for your fridge. It is on the plate on the inside of your fridge, on the same plate that has your Model # XXXXX Serial # XXXXX it.
2. Programming is done with the refrigerator doors open.
3. Press and hold the Door Alarm keypad on the control panel.
4. Then press and hold the Freezer Temperature Down keypad.
5. Then release the Door Alarm keypad and
wait 3 seconds.
6. The control pad will then display PE to indicate it's in programming mode.
7. Entry is confirmed by pressing the Freezer Temperature down keypad once more.
8. The control panel will display the current program code. It should be the same one that I asked you to find in Step 1.
9. If the program code is the correct one, exit the programming mode by closing the refrigerator doors.
10. If the program code is not the correct one for your refrigerator, press the Refrigerator Temperature Up or Down to change the value with each keypress.
11. The decimal point indicates the selected digit. Press the Freezer Temperature Up or Down to select the next digit.
12. Once the desired program code is displayed, press and hold the Freezer Temperature down keypad until the program code begins flashing, indicating that it's been saved.
13. Again, when you're done, exiting the program mode is done by closing the refrigerator doors.

buzzb516 :

I tried it as per directions, it did not enter into program mode, I tried three times

repairguy :

I was trying to find other directions for you, I sent two different ones, I dont believe they are the same

buzzb516 :

the last time I received direction like these, but this keypad is different from mine

buzzb516 :

I tried both sets of directions, neither worked, I don't remember having to hold any doors open

repairguy :

I can opt out for you if you would like, another expert may have some information that I do not. I have run out of ideas on how to put into diagnostic.

buzzb516 :

ok, thank you

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

Hello from our service,

My name is Chas, I am so happy to help you today.
Before we get started, I would like to help us get on the same page so that our interaction will go smoothly.
I might give you an answer immediately, or ask you a question. Either way, we are likely to be in a question and answer format, so you will need to click reply to expert if:
a. You want to add detail.
b. Your question was not fully answered.
c. You want to ask further questions.

Since I am inviting you back to do any of these, do not use a 1 or 2 rating or this will likely NOT help you get a satisfactory answer. It will delay our task, and it tends to be depressing for the expert trying to help you, often right at the beginning of the exchange, before we have accomplished our task.

I know the rating system is somewhat complicated, but you do not have to do a negative rating in order not to pay or to get your deposit back.

In addition, a negative rating only serves to rate the expert doing his/her utmost to help you. The expert also will not get paid under these circumstances.

Negative ratings do not cover site problems, delays, or anything else on the site that might annoy you, as experts are only involved in trying to answer your questions.

Negative ratings do not cover posts that do not come through, or any other difficulties...experts face those just as you do. This includes frustrations that you might have had before meeting your expert.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction. But, it is up to your honor to click a smiley face and make sure that I am compensated for my time and effort. Please realize we are only compensated PER smiley per click and from bonuses, so extensive time with you would hopefully stimulate your consideration of this aspect of the system.

do you still need help?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, other expert had limited information and was unable to assist

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

do you need more information? Not sure What is happening now? do I have to rate the last expert? if so he was unable to assist, how do I rate that

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
No, do not rate the prev expert, we are having system problems, I ha attempting to gather the info needed... please stand by
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
These are the programming instructions for your model. tell me if it works.

graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

did not work, followed instructions and no change. did not enter program mode

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Okay, I have seen this before on this model, you are going to need to replace the touchpad to repalir it, you can click on the blue link below to order the correct part

Click here for the correct part for your unit.

Repair Clinic offers a 365 day no question ask return policy, so if the repair does not work you can return the part to them for a full refund, yes this even includes electronic parts that many other part suppliers will not allow to be returned.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating. . .

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what if that doesn't fix, what are my options then

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
I am with 95% sure this will fix it,,, I have run into it before, the programming thing works only on the water and icemaker not dispensing problem.. You have a shorted out button on your keyboard.
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech