Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

dishwasher wont start when lights are on, but when I push the

dishwasher wont start when lights are on, but when I push the start button again the lights go out and the dishwasher starts, runs for a few minutes then stops
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you happen to have a model number so that I can better assist you? The model should be located on a sticker around the frame of the tub and can be seen if you open the door.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the only info I see is Quiet series 100

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
So the model will definitely be there unless it's removed, but it's not on the door itself. You need to open the door and look around the front frame of the tub and there should be a model that starts with "M" for maytag.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

MD8TT59AWW

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Perfect, thank you. So to be clear, you can select any cycle and press start 1 time and nothing happens. If you press it again, the lights go out and it runs for a few minutes and shuts down again---is that all correct?

If so, can you select a cycle and press the start button 1 time. Wait 5 minutes and does anything change in the 5 minutes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, push any cycle and start, nothing happens, push start again and the lights go off but the machine starts making noise. It is a growling noise, no water, shuts off after 2 minutes, just tried.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK, can you please just push the start button 1 time and wait 5 minutes? Does anything happen during that time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok. doing that now.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
ok, just let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, sorry. I didn't know I couldn't respond again without you responding.

I did as you asked. After 2 minutes the dishwasher started running but it is making the same noise. After 5 minutes it is still making the same noise.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK perfect. So let me explain what is happening. When you press the start button 2 times, the dishwasher just goes into a 2 minute cancel and drain cycle. That means that your touchpad and drain is working properly. By just pushing it 1 time and waiting 5 minutes, it's giving it time to go past the fill process and into the wash cycle which is the noise you're hearing. So in reality, the problem is that your dishwasher is just not filling with water.

If you're positive that the dishwasher is definitely getting water from your house then you either have an issue with your electronic water valve underneath the washer or your float switch is stuck in the up position. Open up your door and look in the front corner of your dishwasher there is a plastic circular float device. Wiggle this up and down and make sure it's in the down position. If it's stuck in the up position it will not fill. If it still doesn't work and you looked under the dishwasher and you don't see any wires unplugged then you will need to order and replace your electronic water valve.

Now if you have a multimeter, you can do one more test to confirm the valve is bad by testing for 120 volts across the 2 wires going to the electronic water valve. If you have 120 volts and it's not filling, then your valve is definitely bad.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The valve was in the up position. It sounds like its working now. Will I need to replace this valve?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
No, you don't need to replace anything. Just clean that float if it continues to stick, otherwise you should be good to go now.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.