Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

Is there a way to get a freezer door gasket to close and seal

Is there a way to get a freezer door gasket to close and seal more properly? I have a strange corner that seems to have a tiny gap between it and the appliance body.

It's probably not major but if I 'm right next to it, I can feel just a bit of cool air.
Hello my name is Mike, I will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting JA to help you with this appliance question.

Hello yes grab a hair dryer, set it on low heat and warm the area in question up, close the door after warming the gasket and continue to warm it until the gasket seals correctly.

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the advice, so when it has warmed enough that it (expands?) to now fully seal, if left to cool while in full contact with the appliance it will tend to hold to that new shape?

The plastic is made from memory plastic so when it warms up the magnet inside the gasket is pliable enough to grab onto the frame again. Make sure you leave the door shut while the gasket cools off :)

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have a similar issue with the Fridge gasket on this same appliance. When standing in front of it, the gasket was mis-installed or has come out of it's grove or something since the corner is kind of squeezed outward and it protrudes out from the corner.

Does this scenario sound like the gasket can be saved and it can hopefully be re-tucked into the grove and warmed to establish the correct shape?

Yes normally this will work if the gasket is not cracked or damaged, if cracked or damaged it would have to be replaced.

Thanks!

Mike.

Hi KD,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? If you are still having a problem please feel free to come back for additional assistance.

Let me know,