Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a 9-year old Hotpoint dishwasher model HDA2000G02WW.

I have a 9-year old Hotpoint dishwasher model HDA2000G02WW. Unit fills and washes, but won't empty. It has a manual control knob. I emptied water with wet/dry vac. Removed screen at discharge and it is clean. Ran a cycle and no discharge. I usually hear a click when manual dial gets to discharge point, but there is nothing and washer just keeps running wash cycle until end of cycle then stops without emptying. Trying to determine if problem is control or solenoid.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So it sounds like you either have a bad solenoid or a bad timer since the motor is running and washing when it should drain. To check and see which one is faulty, remove the kick panel and locate the black solenoid mounted to the side of the pump. Below is a link to the part.

CLICK HERE for drain solenoid

You'll need a multimeter to test between the 2 wires going to this solenoid. Advance the timer to where it should drain and see if you get 120 volts. If so, then you need to replace the drain solenoid kit. If not, then you need to replace the tiemr.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How much does a multimeter cost? Can I rent one?

A multimeter can be bought for about $20-30 at Home Depot? I'm not sure if you can rent on there?