Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I was on this morning to diagnose an oven that wont ignite.

I was on this morning to diagnose an oven that won't ignite. I said that the igniter glowed very brightly, but no gas came on. You said the igniter was bad. I went and got one. I checked the oven once more. The oven fired after about 30 seconds of glow with the original igniter. Then it went out. The igniter was still glowing and the burner fired again.
I seems to have a weak flame and it pulsates slightly. I don't want to install the new igniter if that's not the problem (68 bucks and change).
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

It sounds like your oven igniter is definitely bad, but unless you have an amp clamp, there is no way to know for certain. If you have an amp clamp, clamp one of the wires going to the igniter and see if it's drawing at least 3.2 amps. They need to draw at least 3.2 amps or else they won't open the gas valve correctly and it will either crack the valve open, or open and shut the valve several times when it should just be holding open.  It doesn't matter if the igniter is glowing or not; just because it glows doesn't mean the igniter is drawing enough power to open the safety valve.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes only drawing 2.5 A . Can you wave the second $30 since I already spent that this morning?

I did not see that, but that was a different technician. It's your call because I have no power over the charges.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I wasn't told how to check this morning. I'll meet you half way, how about $15?

That's alright, I wouldn't worry about it. Just be sure in the future to reply back to your original question if you have follow-up questions otherwise you'll have confusion.