Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.

I have an Amana fridge thats about 15 years old. Model BR22TW.

I have an Amana fridge that's about 15 years old. Model BR22TW. Freezer on the bottom. The fridge is no longer getting any cold air. Freezer is fine, milk in the fridge has turned to cheese :-(
Have changed the temperature control at the back of the fridge, no change.
Cleared out cat fur (sigh) from under the fridge so venting should be fine.
The cold air isn't making it to the top. Any ideas? THANK YOU!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting JA to help you with this appliance question.

Can you open the door to the freezer and look at the lower panel on the inside rear, do you see frost on this panel?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

no frost. We took all the food out of the freezer to see if we could anything, and other than a few spots that need cleaning ... freezer compartment is great. We also work very hard to keep fridge / freezer door open as little as possible so very little humidity will get in

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Ok can you open the freezer again put your hand in and let me know if you can feel air circulating, if you hear a fan inside the freezer running.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

yes I can feel and hear it. Ice maker is working fine too

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Ok if the defrost system is working as it should and the evaporator fan is working then the only thing left is the damper, this is a small door located inside the vent inside the fridge, This is the small door that allows cold air to pass from the freezer to the fridge, this must be stuck in the closed position. Part 261 in the schematic below.

graphic

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

So I'm guessing I have to pull the fridge out and get access to this part from the back. Is this something I'm capable of doing? (in your humble opinion). I'm tech savvy, but that's with computers, not appliances :-)

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Actually its inside the vent/control panel inside the fridge :), you would need to take out all visible screws then pop the plastic clips that are holding the control in place.

It's not a easy part to get to but easy to replace or defrost if blocked with ice once you get to it :)

Thanks!

Mike.

Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Mike, can't figure out if the part is the same one you're referring to. I have a picture ... how can I send it to you. There are no screws at all on our thermostat at the inside back of the fridge and my husband is worried about breaking it if he pulls any harder

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
The thermostat is clipped to the top of the evaporator, It should un clip from the evaporator, you can add a picture by clicking on the paper clip on the tool bar.