Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My washer will not drain or spin and the motor still runs but

My washer will not drain or spin and the motor still runs but the belts are slipping and burning. I stopped the washer and the tub is stuck. Please help.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you have a model number so that I can better assist you? It should be located on a sticker on the back of the control panel on the far left, or below the lid down near the hinges.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Model# XXXXX

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK perfect. So, can you tip the washer back a bit and remove the 2 belts under the washer? Then spin each pulley under the washer both directions. Is there any resistance going either directly on any of the 3 pulleys below the washer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The small pulleys spin fine, the large pulley spins fine counter clockwise but has resistance when spinning clockwise then it gets stuck and can't be turned any more.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
So that would explain your problems. That center pulley is your transmission. If it's getting stuck and won't turn anymore, your gears for the spin cycle are seizing up. You'd need a new transmission to fix this issue I'm afraid to say. The cost of replacing the transmission is about $350 or so. Most people won't repair the washer with this kind of issue, but that's completely up to you.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.