Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

My Kenmore range model 790,7873 2406 has right side burner

My Kenmore range model 790,7873 2406 has right side burner ignitor issues . When push in knob & turn to LITE, it constantly clicks but does not light. The front burner is more frequent that the back. Sometimes when I can light back burner, the front burner will then light. Very frustrating and smells of gas. I have checked and/or cleaned cap & burner heads. Never have been dirty or clogged. This has continued for a couple years but now is almost constant. HELP!! I'm ready to replace stove!

Thank you.

Judy
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.

Hello from our service,

My name is Chas, I am so happy to help you today.
Before we get started, I would like to help us get on the same page so that our interaction will go smoothly.
I might give you an answer immediately, or ask you a question. Either way, we are likely to be in a question and answer format, so you will need to click reply to expert if:
a. You want to add detail.
b. Your question was not fully answered.
c. You want to ask further questions.

Since I am inviting you back to do any of these, do not use a 1 or 2 rating or this will likely NOT help you get a satisfactory answer. It will delay our task, and it tends to be depressing for the expert trying to help you, often right at the beginning of the exchange, before we have accomplished our task.

I know the rating system is somewhat complicated, but you do not have to do a negative rating in order not to pay or to get your deposit back.

In addition, a negative rating only serves to rate the expert doing his/her utmost to help you. The expert also will not get paid under these circumstances.

Negative ratings do not cover site problems, delays, or anything else on the site that might annoy you, as experts are only involved in trying to answer your questions.

Negative ratings do not cover posts that do not come through, or any other difficulties...experts face those just as you do. This includes frustrations that you might have had before meeting your expert.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction. But, it is up to your honor to click a smiley face and make sure that I am compensated for my time and effort. Please realize we are only compensated PER smiley per click and from bonuses, so extensive time with you would hopefully stimulate your consideration of this aspect of the system.

Do any of the burners light properly?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The left side burners do not have a problem

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
When you look at the right side burners, and try to make them light, where is the spark hitting on it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Spark is on right side of burner, my diagram calls is an electrode. This time, of course, burner lit!! So not sure if I even see a spark when burner does not light. Just hear the clicking.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Does it spark the same way on the left side ones when you do it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Left side burners light immediately, can barely see a spark (same location on burner) before the burner lights. Tried right side burner again & rear one clicked and sparked but did not ignite.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Does the spark on the right side, is it sparking to the area below the ignitor or it is sparking to the burner head?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Unclear of your question. It sparks on electrode but not burner head I think or burner would light. Can I remove the surface burner cap & burner head & try to light it? Also, note when I turn knob of rear right burner, the front burner clicks and sparks. Do they share an igniter?

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
Okay try this instead, take the burner completely off, look underneath it, there is a small indent that fits over the ingnitor, there should also be a small hole there along the edge of the indent, clean out that hole with a paper clip real well, then try using it...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I presume you mean in the center under the burner where there is an open hole. I did clean w/paper clip. Got nothing that I could see. However, attempted to light front burner several times & it lit each time. If it lites only 80%, I'd be happy. Back burner did same cleaning but still having problems lighting it.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
The hole I am talking about is going to be between the 2 arrows in th epic

graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My burner looks totally different. I've cleaned around all the places I can and front burner and back still giving me difficulty. I appreciate all your help, but if I need to replace something (??) would I almost be better replacing stove since it is 7 yrs old & I've read that's about the life span of appliances now. Unless you have other suggestions.

Expert:  Chas replied 1 year ago.
I think you may have a cracked ignitor if you cleaned every nook and cranny on the burner head. This could be hard to replair without a repair person, as the ignitor is part of the gas system, you would pay around $250 to have this fixed, replacing is not a bad option for you...

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating. . .

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech