Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Appliance Doc, first thanks for the info on the dryer with

Appliance Doc, first thanks for the info on the dryer with the timer issue. Turned out that the inside GE dryer coil was out. I replaced it and it worked on auto. About a month ago, I put a thermostat in an old GE (the kind in the lint trap area) and it got heat. Now the customer thinks it is getting too hot. Where would you start? Thermostats or could it be the Temperature Selector Switch?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

The temperature selector switch would definitely not cause the problem, but you'd be looking at a grounded element, a faulty operating thermostat, or a clogged vent. Make sure the vent is clean, then check continuity from a terminal on the element to the case of the heating shield and it should be open---if not, then replace the heating element.

Otherwise you're probably looking at a bad thermostat. You should probably check the temperature inside the dryer with a thermocouple to make sure it's working properly. If you put a thermocouple thermostat inside the drum and shut the door, the temperature should never go over 220 degrees after the first cycle on high heat.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!