Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Helo. I have a GE Profile refrigerator. The freezer is the

Helo. I have a GE Profile refrigerator. The freezer is the same temp as the frig.Can you help me?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Can you pull the refrigerator forward and remove the lower back access panel? If so, can you touch the compressor and see if it's room temperature, blazing hot, or warm? And is the fan next to the compressor running?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not a problem. THe compressor, condense,r and condenser fan exist ontop of this frig. It is a high end, high end, gigantic stainless steel beauty. But yes i can check those components. What is our objective?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I see, so it's a built in 48" wide refrigerator. But yes, can you make these checks? I'm trying to see if the compressor is running normally, or if it's not turning on anymore or possibly overheating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes. THe compressor does not seem to be over heating.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK but it's still worm and not room temperature, is that correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The frig is 46 degrees the freezer is 38 degrees.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant the temperature of the compressor is warm not room temperature correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes. Correct. compressor running.And it is warm.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK perfect, so it does sound like you have a leak then. That being said, you should not need to replace all these parts--that is sort of the shotgun approach. I think the better idea is to have them remove the drier filter, and have a "dye drier" installed instead. This will allow the refrigerator to leak out a neon dye that can only be seen with dye glasses. It will glow very brightly and will be very easy to track down the leak once you've done this. At this point, I think you need to let the technician know that they need to put a dye dryer on it and come back in a couple of days to locate the leak.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

THANK yoU. Good advice. WITH THE ICE GOING DOWN TO THE COMPRESSOR ON THE LOW SIDE. dID THEY OVER CHARGE IT.? tHE FRIG WORKED WELL FOR ABOUT 12 HOURS THEN MORE ISSUES.Warming up in frig and freezer.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, the unit is overcharged if you see frost build up by the compressor. The problem now is that with that much charge, it could definitely damage the compressor. You won't know until the correct charge is in the system, but I'd definitely request a different technician as the previous one apparently doesn't not know exactly what he's doing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Now, so i dont end up like one of her previous techs. Can you tell me , given the model number, , After properly vacuming the system,when i have charged this system correctly with R-134, what the low side psi should read??? Thanks again for your valued info on this subject. So far. I appreciate it.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Not a problem at all. The low side psi should be 0 psi while the refrigerator has been running for at least 15 minutes. Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up to see how your appliances is doing since I haven't heard back from you and this question is still open. Is there anything else that I can help you with today?