John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

Window a/c not cooling properly

Window a/c not cooling properly
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Hi I,m John I will help you with the a/c problem .
With the filter removed can you see and touch the cooling coils, if you can are all the cooling coils cold ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My husband is checking. It doesn't feel cold, but is cooling down now???

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
The condenser coils at the back where the warm air leaves the unit have they ever been cleaned ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not to my knowledge. How is this done safely??

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
You can use a Brush to clean the coils and if you can get an air hose to the coils will work .
John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Follow these instructions to maintain the a/c .

Remove the air conditioner from the window and clear away any accumulated debris from the windowsill. Take the appliance out of its cabinet. (Some will slide out of the cabinet, but on most, the cabinet is held in place with screws.) Remove the screws and put them aside (Fig. 3). Then, use a shop vacuum and crevice tool to get rid of leaves and debris from within the air conditioner (Fig. 4).

To clean the inside (Fig. 5), bring the appliance outdoors and use a paintbrush and some soapy water. Put plastic bags over the fan motor, electrical control box and compressor. Secure the plastic with duct tape. Hose the inside clean (Fig. 6), and make sure the base, coils and pan for condensate are clean as well.

When you've finished, remove the plastic bags and dry off the air conditioner with a fresh cloth. Allow the remaining moisture to evaporate, or you can accelerate the drying process by blowing out moisture with a can of compressed air. Single-use cans of compressed air are available through tool catalogs and some hardware stores. You can also try using a rechargeable air tank, which is sold at hardware stores, home centers and auto parts stores.

When the appliance is dry, reassemble and reinstall it in the window, following the general guidelines mentioned below. It's a good idea to allow the air conditioner to remain idle for one full day--just to be sure that the machine is thoroughly dry before you begin running it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We noticed moisture on the a/c shelf before it stopped working properly. What did that mean?

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
That could mean a clogged drain tube ,have you noticed water dripping out the back of the a/c unit ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, and should the drain tube be disconnected to prevent that from happening again???

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
No, just make sure the drain is clear to stop that from happening .
John, Home Appliance Technician